Wilson's School Leavers Destination - Oxbridge

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Re: Wilson's School Leavers Destination - Oxbridge

Post by Guest55 »

Some of us don't care how many Oxbridge students a school has - it's irrelevant to whether my child will be happy and enjoy the learning experience at a school. In fact I'm just as interested in those who had the grades but chose not to go to Oxbridge because they researched and found a better course elsewhere.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Littlebird wrote:Parents come to this site to seek for advices mostly about 11+,
Indeed they do, and the OP has been helped on this thread by being given the information he/she requested, plus some thoughts from more experienced posters about what this information may or may not mean. I think this is useful, and benefited myself from the knowledge of more experienced forumites way back when my DC were at this stage particularly on this point. For example, I had not realised how much movement there was at 6th form, nor how many DC decide not to apply for Oxbridge because of course limitations. Indeed now I am out the other end (so to speak) I also am aware how many children turn down Oxbridge offers (why oh why bother in the first place then? but don't get me started on that!) Without the comments from other forumites I would have remained unaware and might have let this cloud my thinking. Of course the advice given on here might not be what one wants to hear, but that does not make it wrong.
mad?
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Just done the lower sixth Oxbridge Eve a couple of weeks ago.
Final tally 26 for 2018.14 to one and 12 to the other. Can’t remember which way round.
If that’s your DS chosen destination they will get lots of support.
Anything can happen in 5 years and much better to focus on
will the school be the best fit for your son now rather than what happens later on.
Littlebird

Post by Littlebird »

You can ask the question too Guest, in here or new topic but again, wasnt the question pure and simple enough? You could say”Sorry I dont have the information but genuinely I’d like to know why majority of parents with young children cares so much about school leavers. You might even find more answer by googling. But I doubt very much you seek the answer. If you’d like to send the message like Mad’s post just now that you have been there and done that and certain thing you noticed changed your perspective over the year then yes, by then it is kind and informative.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I did ask you why you wanted to know but I didn't see an answer from you.
Littlebird

Post by Littlebird »

No, I am not interested in Oxbridge destination however I can understand why parents with young children are especially parents came to this forum because their children wants selective academic schools. Oxford itself is the best school in the world by some ranks(or similar to Cambridge many other years)...its an indication that what is the tendency the school’s leavers aim for. Fair enough you dont want it, but dont assume parents who wants it care about their children health and safe or well being any less. Its possible to be both. I said in my reply that personally I dont even consider UK university at the moment, I am more interested in schools with more oversea further studying leavers.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

almond2009 wrote: Most sensible people would know that OxBridge stats will change down the road; ....otherwise why would all the leading state and independent schools publish leavers' destinations?
Unfortunately this forum brings out sensible and insensible parents.....! All the leading state schools and independent schools publish leavers’ destinations because they are required to by the government (as are universities for graduates).
almond2009

Post by almond2009 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:
almond2009 wrote: Most sensible people would know that OxBridge stats will change down the road; ....otherwise why would all the leading state and independent schools publish leavers' destinations?
Unfortunately this forum brings out sensible and insensible parents.....! All the leading state schools and independent schools publish leavers’ destinations because they are required to by the government (as are universities for graduates).
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I don't think publishing leavers' destination is a universal requirement for all the leading schools. Moreover, how do you define "leading"? Schools publish these stats to demonstrate they are able to achieve positive outcome for students, and I still think this is a data point parents can take into account when deciding on a school. No one said this is the "best place to start with" as some forum members seem to be putting words into people's mouths!
4mykids

Post by 4mykids »

Littlebird wrote:You can ask the question too Guest, in here or new topic but again, wasnt the question pure and simple enough?
To be fair, PS200 didn't simply ask for the Oxbridge "hit rate", they ended their post by saying "Will really appreciate insight from the members of the forum.", so it seems a little unfair to attack those who took the time and effort to provide said insight, based on their experience.

For my tuppence worth, I know of boys from Wilson's who have gone to Oxbridge simply because it was Oxbridge (some persuaded to go that route by their parents) and found a course they felt they could secure an offer on, and others who although academically capable of getting a place at Oxbridge, chose to go to an alternative university that offered the course they really wanted to spend 3 or more years studying.
I guess neither choice is "wrong", it's just down to the preference of the boy's when the time comes for them to choose.
Littlebird

Post by Littlebird »

4amykids: time and effort putting in answering the questions? I dont think there has been many answers before my posts(yes, there are many after).
I dont think making assumption about sensible vs non-sensible reading the question was “sensible”. Ofcourse many old posters have vast knowledge and experience and have been there, done that. But there is a superior feel in many posts in this forum making generic assumptions or attacking new comers.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now