State School Choice - Graveney School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BabaPabz

State School Choice - Graveney School

Post by BabaPabz »

Hi,
I visited Graveney School this morning come up rather "confused", for want of any other way of describing my feeling afterworths.
I knew it has academy status and has been doing really well and the ability places are as competitive as it gets. However,following my visit I couldn't really place it anywhere in my preference (up or down). The school simply felt like a mash-up of private+grammar+comprehensive education within the same school. It was rather confusing. As the kids get streamed from day1, i wandered how the mixed /integrated the kids are.I.e someone is not getting a grammar level education while other in the endevour stream and getting a "comprehensive" treatment. Another parent asked this question was told the kids interact within the house system.
Although he is bright, my DS is not fully academic and loves to have his sport and music. Graveney seem to have lettile to offer in terms of sport. So I am really wandering if Graveney will be any good for him.
Is there anyone on here that have first hand experience of Graveney school, who can tll a bit more??
streathammum

Re: State School Choice - Graveney School

Post by streathammum »

My daughter has just started at Graveney so our impressions of the school are still quite new. She does Netball club and there has been a cross-country day, but she's not particularly sporty herself so I don't really know what else there is to offer on the sport front. She's also doing choir and if you go to the open evening tonight you might spot her in the music department!

They are streamed - they stay in their form groups for the whole five years and do most of their lessons together until they start GCSEs. My DD is being pushed quite hard academically which is great. There are 10 forms in each year and five houses, so two forms per year in each house. I'm not sure what activities are house-based though.

It is a great school with many non-academic activities on offer. The children who are admitted via the test come from further away than those admitted on distance (the distance catchment is tiny!) but I get the sense that no one travels very far, certainly not the sort of distances that people travel for grammars, which again I see as a positive.
Stanton

Post by Stanton »

Like the OP, I would be interested in hearing more about the level of sports and drama focus, which does feel like it is lower down the list of priorities, but this may not be the case. Very hard to tell this sort of stuff from an open evening, so would love to hear from any current parents with children there. Thank you!
summersun

Post by summersun »

Yes I am really interested to find out more too. I went to the open afternoon and it was so busy it was really hard to get a proper feel though this is the first school I have visited so I've nothing to compare it to. I found the talk a bit formal and would be interested to hear how warm and caring the school is to existing pupils.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now