How catchment area works?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SurreyGrammar

How catchment area works?

Post by SurreyGrammar »

Hi all,

My DS and I live in Surrey area.

There are plenty of good schools incl. Grammar schools, but in fallback case, our resident address is in 2 state schools' catchment area and one of them has outstanding(Glyn), the other one has requires improvement(Blenheim) Ofsted report.

School details are;
Blenheim: Ofsted is Requires improvement, Distance to my residency is 1.01 mile, last years max. catchment distance is 2+ miles

Glyn: Ofsted is Outstanding, Distance to my residency is 1.12 mile, last years max. catchment distance is 2+ miles

My question is,
If my son will not able to grant a place in any grammar school and we list Glyn and don't list Blenheim in CAF, is it possible to be offered a place in Blenheim?

Any info or shared experieces are very appreciated..

Thank you..
kenyancowgirl

Re: How catchment are works?

Post by kenyancowgirl »

If you are not able to be offered any of the schools listed on your CAF the LA will offer you a place at a school that has space. This may be a school close to you that has spaces or it may be one far away that has spaces. It may not be a school you would like your child to go to but as long as the LA makes an offer, they have fulfilled their responsibility.
SurreyGrammar

Post by SurreyGrammar »

Thank you,

As I understood, If I won't add Blenheim to list and if my address won't be the catchment area of Glyn. They may offer anyone, even it will be Blenheim.

So, this is a kind of lottery :roll:
Offering "outstanding" or "requires improvement" school.
I think we should think to move our house :(
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

It's not a lottery. If you put Glyn higher than Blenheim your DC would have got a place there last year from the information you've provided. To not get a place there, there would have to be a high enough number of children applying who come above you on the admissions criteria (presumably LACs, siblings and people living nearer). No one can tell you if that will be the case.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

From the second comment I am wondering if OP is not in catchment for the outstanding school?
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

kenyancowgirl wrote:From the second comment I am wondering if OP is not in catchment for the outstanding school?
Ah. Post is a bit confusing.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Indeed!
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Looking at the Surrey Booklet SurreyGrammar has perhaps confused km with miles, the booklet says that for 2018 the last distance offered for Glyn was 2.26km which is 1.4 miles. With predicted trends of high birthrate for 2019 entry it might be tight but isn't out of the question if SurreyGrammar is 1.12 miles away but it maybe a wait if an offer doesn't arrive on 1st March.
https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/__data/asse ... LET-V5.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SurreyGrammar

Post by SurreyGrammar »

Yep, I confused km and miles.

Schools distances to our address are very close and depending on the childrens situations, both 2 schools may offered us.
Unfortunately. nobody knows what will happen.

Thanks for all comments.
kenyancowgirl

Re: How catchment area works?

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Both schools will not offer. You will only ever get one offer from a state school.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now