TGS Draft Admissions Arrangements Consultation 2020

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tinkers

Re: TGS Draft Admissions Arrangements Consultation 2020

Post by Tinkers »

The two GS in Reading have similar but not identical catchments. There has been no plan to align them and it’s rarely mentioned. There doesn’t tend to be that many form the outer edges attend Kendrick, but I can’t say for Reading, so I suspect it’s not an issue that often comes up.

There are two single sex comprehensive schools in Wokingham. Theybhave the same catchment and are part of a shared catchment with two other mixed schools. For several years the radial distance criteria was actually the combined distance from your house to both schools so that you had the same radial distance to both I think this has been quietly dropped in the last year or so though, at least by the girls’ school, which is highly over subscribed. The boys’ school isn’t highly over subscribed.

I think both schools had a sibling criteria but this only extended to sisters of DDs at the girls’ school and brothers of DSs at the boys. During the consultation, someone asked why the distance was taken as the combined distance, so that families with boys and girls had the same distance, there was no cross sibling criteria.
Irisa

Re: TGS Draft Admissions Arrangements Consultation 2020

Post by Irisa »

streathammum wrote:Yes, I agree.

There are plenty of place where there are not equivalent provisions for girls and boys, including in the neighbouring borough of Sutton (three boys' schools, two for girls). There is no obligation on the two separate Kingston schools to run identical, or even parallel, admissions criteria.
Surprisingly enough, if one looks at the last years statistics, the number of applications per place ends up close to equal for boys and girls - for the total number of places in the 2 girls and 3 boys schools in the borough of Sutton respectively.