SGS Admissions Consultation - deprivation weighting by pcode

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
CSB

SGS Admissions Consultation - deprivation weighting by pcode

Post by CSB »

Consultation open until 17th January: https://www.suttongrammar.sutton.sch.uk ... nsultation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A really interesting change proposed to bring in a weighting for deprivation as well as age. The SET & 2nd stage scores will be adjusted depending on postcode in a similar way to the age adjustments already in place. The amount of adjustment depends on the IDACI - it's a measure of child deprivation by postcode used by government. Has this been done anywhere else before? I'd only heard of adjustments based on Pupil Premium. This looks a much more precise way to level the playing field.

"Our modelling suggests that students in the middle part of the rank order would move by up to +/- 10 places, so the precise order in which places are allocated to students will be affected by this change"

For the statisticians on here the methodology is explained in this document. https://fluencycontent-schoolwebsite.ne ... nation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Golgo13

Re: SGS Admissions Consultation - deprivation weighting by p

Post by Golgo13 »

Interesting...I wonder if this will result in families moving into the "worst" postcodes for a year or two to take advantage of the system...
CSB

Post by CSB »

Golgo13 wrote:Interesting...I wonder if this will result in families moving into the "worst" postcodes for a year or two to take advantage of the system...
That would be an extreme tactic to gain a few points (3.something max it said), but I guess some people are very determined when it comes to grammars! The methodology explains that the deprivation weighting applied to the 2019 cohort would have meant 17 additional boys passing the SET and 2 of those would have gone on to pass 2nd stage. The more significant outcome of the new weighting was to change the rankings in the middle part of the order after the 2nd round. But even then it only increased or decreased the rank by a single 'band' (1 band = 4 points) - no-one shifted 2 bands either way. Once you have been banded, everyone in that same band is ranked on distance not score I think.
Golgo13

Post by Golgo13 »

Still...it might push house prices up in those areas and drive low-income families into less deprived postcodes...
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

interesting map of IDACI scores https://parallel.co.uk/imd/idaci-score. ... 52/-0.2915" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;