WHSG or Old Palace with good scholarship

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Beverley1411

WHSG or Old Palace with good scholarship

Post by Beverley1411 »

Hi, it's my first post but I hope someone out there can give me a little help.

We have a good academic scholarship place on the table from OP and are waiting for the results for WHSG on 2nd March.

I hope DD is offered a place at the latter, we live close to the school so fingers crossed. There isn't much time post the 2nd March to make a decision and I am struggling to work out whether the OP place should be considered. We could pay the balance after the scholarship at a push - things would be very very tight - but as WHSG is more academic, is it worth it?

Maybe this is one for the independent school section? But I thought I'd try here first.

DD is not fussed either way she likes both schools.

BTW - this forum has definitely contributed to DD success, the guidance I have been following over the last few months has been invaluable!
kenyancowgirl

Re: WHSG or Old Palace with good scholarship

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Personally, if your DD isn't fussed either way, go to the school that gives you more flexibility as a family. If it is going to be tight to pay the fees (and don't forget that indie costs can actually be double the fees at the end of the year) then that will impact on the whole family and could put you under unnecessary pressure. But then I would always support the state system above the private system, any way...!
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Can I just nip in to say that whilst some prestigious indies might end up costing you lots more, actually everyone always mentions that fees is just the start of the indie costs, when actually we have found the opposite. I don't say you are wrong KCG, far from it, but in many cases the costs are not onerous on top. In actual fact, with two in Y7 one at state GS and one at indie, I can honestly say that the 'on costs' have been significantly higher in the state GS than in the indie. I know that is only our case but its worth stating as we can't be the only ones to feel this, and it means the OP gets a more balanced view. Only thing I can say is check it out with o0ther parents.
Sorry for the 'ahem', just felt had to say
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

We are in a similar situation. My dd has been offered a scholarship to Croydon High .We could just about afford it but there are family things we would have to go without.We will send dd to Wallington if she gets a place there.My son is at one of the grammars whilst quite a few of his friends have gone privately. When we get together with the families from his old school the general consensus is the pace and level of work is higher at the grammars but the sporting opportunities are less. Music seems to be about the same.
My son also got indie scholarships but we are glad we chose the grammar route.
I know lots of people will feel that an indie is worth the sacrifice but for us in the current economic climate we would prefer not to have to pay fees.
My understanding is that you are correct that Wallington is the more academic.
I didn't sit our daughter for Old Palace because of the location.We know of girls who are very happy there.
I think it is such a personal decision depending on individual circumstances.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I think it is such a personal decision depending on individual circumstances.
+1

A lot depends on what you want from the School. Academics, Sports, Social mix ? Then of-course, finances and other siblings. There is no right or wrong decision.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Yamin151 wrote:Can I just nip in to say that whilst some prestigious indies might end up costing you lots more, actually everyone always mentions that fees is just the start of the indie costs, when actually we have found the opposite. I don't say you are wrong KCG, far from it, but in many cases the costs are not onerous on top. In actual fact, with two in Y7 one at state GS and one at indie, I can honestly say that the 'on costs' have been significantly higher in the state GS than in the indie. I know that is only our case but its worth stating as we can't be the only ones to feel this, and it means the OP gets a more balanced view. Only thing I can say is check it out with o0ther parents.
Sorry for the 'ahem', just felt had to say
To be fair, Yamin151, I was careful to say that the actual costs "can actually be double" not that they would be double!! Certainly it would be sensible for the Op to check out with other parents at the school about actual costs (especially as she implies they can just about afford the fees with the scholarship). The detailed assessments we made of the private schools we considered locally, coupled with my sister's experience (3 children in private schools in Surrey) showed that in those schools at least, the fees were the tip of the iceberg but, of course, there are other private schools that are far more economical. I don't know Old Palace so couldn't comment on the actual costs there.

So go for the one that gives you more flexibility as a family - this might be the indie as it could offer the things your dc is most interested in, could give you better before and after school care, subject choice etc or WHSG which might offer these things - or others - with no fee cost. As you say your dd isn't that fussed, ask yourself, where would I feel more comfortable?
musicmum

Post by musicmum »

My DD started in Year 7 at Old Palace this year with an academic scholarship, and in our experience the additional costs haven't been too bad. Uniform is stocked by the official supplier at Whitgift School, but a lot of items were available at the nearly new shop when we went to an induction evening. She's going on a school trip to France for a week in the summer and we've had the opportunity to pay in instalments over several months. I get the impression that there are many families who are stretching themselves financially to send their daughters there, and the school seems to be sensitive to this.

We had the choice between Wallington and the OP scholarship, and OP felt right for our DD even though we knew it would be a bit of a push financially. DD is academically bright but lives for her extra-curricular activities - mainly gymnastics, dance and drama - and we were concerned that she might struggle to keep up with the homework from Wallington and still have time for all her other activities.

At OP the scholarship girls are stretched academically (lots of extension seminars, regular mentoring sessions with a member of staff who gets to know them well and looks for opportunities to develop their individual strengths and interests), but DD has been able to keep up with all her other activities as well, and the pastoral care has been excellent. Money is tight sometimes but DD has never been happier at school, and we know we made the right decision for her.
Beverley1411

Post by Beverley1411 »

Wow thanks for the advice.

If it's just a case of extra activities, I think we can make up for that in other ways. I quite like the fact that DD would be seen as a 'scholar' at OP rather than one of the many many bright DDs at WHSG - a bit of a confidence goes a long way I think.

Well we will wait and see if she managed to get a place at WHSG - as there was a long time between the grammar and the indie exams, I know DD was no where near the level she was at in January back in September, fingers crossed!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The other thing to consider are the obligations expected of the scholar group? One school locally expects them to meet up each week with the other scholars in the school for academic enrichment/leading discussions/attending seminar type activities and they have to maintain a set high academic level in all subjects, as well as attending as student helpers at various school events (on top of the expectations required of all the other students). Be clear what the expectations are so there are no surprises!
hina

Post by hina »

I had to make the similar choice last year, and decided to send my daughter to TGS. From past experience of a friend's daughter attending one of the Indie schools under scholarship. 3rd year they had to pull her out, due money worries.