Sutton Mock scores vs. actual Sutton SET scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
PurpleBoohbah

Sutton Mock scores vs. actual Sutton SET scores

Post by PurpleBoohbah »

Based on prior years, how accurate are the scores from the Sutton Mocks as a guide to performance in the real SET test? I realise this will be purely anecdotal, but this is the first time we are going through the 11+ experience, so I don't have anything to compare to and whilst we know some others sitting the SET test this year, everyone is staying very tight-lipped about how things are going at this point.

DS sat both the A & B tests, his maths performance improved in the B test but his English score was pretty much the same on both exams. As both were multiple choice we have been able to directly compare results for each question type across the papers. On paper A he scored very low on one English section, pulled that score right up on test B, but then the rest of the paper, particularly one section he is normally very good at, brought his score right down again down. Overall, on none of the 4 papers did he reach a standardised score of 107. We have another mock booked (multiple choice papers) in a couple of weeks, so we will see how that goes.

At the moment I am feeling fairly deflated about his chances, as I feel he falls in to the uncomfortable middle-ground of it going either way on the actual day. I know there are no guarantees, but I would certainly feel more optimistic if his score was towards top end of the scale at this point.
rocky

Re: Sutton Mock scores vs. actual Sutton SET scores

Post by rocky »

PurpleBoohbah wrote:Based on prior years, how accurate are the scores from the Sutton Mocks as a guide to performance in the real SET test? I realise this will be purely anecdotal, but this is the first time we are going through the 11+ experience, so I don't have anything to compare to and whilst we know some others sitting the SET test this year, everyone is staying very tight-lipped about how things are going at this point.

DS sat both the A & B tests, his maths performance improved in the B test but his English score was pretty much the same on both exams. As both were multiple choice we have been able to directly compare results for each question type across the papers. On paper A he scored very low on one English section, pulled that score right up on test B, but then the rest of the paper, particularly one section he is normally very good at, brought his score right down again down. Overall, on none of the 4 papers did he reach a standardised score of 107. We have another mock booked (multiple choice papers) in a couple of weeks, so we will see how that goes.

At the moment I am feeling fairly deflated about his chances, as I feel he falls in to the uncomfortable middle-ground of it going either way on the actual day. I know there are no guarantees, but I would certainly feel more optimistic if his score was towards top end of the scale at this point.
First of all, try not to get deflated! The 11+ is like running a marathon and each day/week has its ups and downs. The mock tests are a really useful tool to get a child acclimatised to exam conditions and to improve technique. My eldest daughter did mock tests last year at SGS. Her first score was not very good at all and It was quite de-motivating for both child and parents. The second mock test was slightly better but still a bit off the pace. The big improvement came in the summer and in the end she passed with a good score and got her first choice school on offers day. It's all about peaking at the right time so stay positive and continue to encourage your DS.
Irisa

Re: Sutton Mock scores vs. actual Sutton SET scores

Post by Irisa »

I completely agree with rocky.

Mock tests at Sutton schools are a very useful tool, they give you the precious experience of the exam conditions and reveal which areas require more attention during the summer preparation.

I had two sons who had sat the Sutton mocks. One had his mock results in the top 5-10%, the other one ended up just in top 40%, specifically on his English paper, his maths results were slightly higher. However in the end both got an offer for the school that had been their first choice.

Do not get deflated. Mocks are an interim result only.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now