waiting list Wallington County Grammar School ???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jcmum

waiting list Wallington County Grammar School ???

Post by jcmum »

We applied to all 3 Sutton Grammar schools. We live in SW16 – so out of catchment for all 3 Sutton grammar schools. We received the waiting list for Wallington County Grammar school. My son is in the lower 60’s on the waiting list. So realistically we don’t think he would stand a chance at WCGS !! However on the Sutton Grammar waiting list he is in the top 10 range….so maybe a glimmer of hope…fingers crossed.

What seem to confuse me is that given that Sutton Grammar school takes the marks from both the SET and the Second stage exam (standardised scores in the ratio 2:2:3:3) and he is high on the waiting list, he would have needed to do well in both the tests.

So, how could he be so low on the WCGS waiting list given that it only takes the marks from the SET test. He says he the SET paper went well {I know that is subjective}…..

Anybody in a similar situation like us or is able to explain to me how such a huge differential can be possible?

Thanks.
streathammum

Re: waiting list Wallington County Grammar School ???

Post by streathammum »

It suggests he aced the second state test but didn't do so well in the SET. Because the second stage for Sutton is 60% of the final mark, it's possible to pull up a weaker SET mark by doing well in the second stage. You must also be quite high on the waiting list for Wilsons, where (I think) the second stage is 80% of the marks.

Children's perceptions of how well or badly they did in these tests is notoriously unreliable - unlike the evidence from the wating list positions, which is clear.

Good luck with your Sutton GS wait - my DS goes there and it's a brilliant school.
jcmum

Re: waiting list Wallington County Grammar School ???

Post by jcmum »

Many thanks for the prompt reply Streathammum. It makes more sense now.