Sutton Grammar / wallington county - Query

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jcmum

Sutton Grammar / wallington county - Query

Post by jcmum »

Hi,

Was wondering if someone would be kind enough to help me with a few questions on SGS and WCGS:

1) How is the music facilities compare at SGS and WCGS? My son has strong musical ability, (grade 5).

2) How is the approach to homework in SGS and WCGS? How good are the teachers in marking and giving feedback for work done?

3) Do both the schools provide good the support to students for Higher Education with regards to university application, personal statements, Oxbridge applications etc ( I have seen the schools websites for both schools in this respect but would like the actual perspective from someone who attends the school. )

4) Is the sports ground at SGS an easy commute from the school?

5) Have heard that concentration on Science and Maths is more in SGS, Is that the case in anyone's experience?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks.
streathammum

Re: Sutton Grammar / wallington county - Query

Post by streathammum »

I don't know anything about WGSB but my DS is in Y8 at SGS.

Don't really know much about the musical facilities as my DS isn't keen, but he does play guitar (for a fee), and there are other instruments you can learn in a one-to-one setting, and I get emails about concerts a few times a year.

I've been surprised by how little homework my DS generally gets. Don't know if he's not doing it, or able to do it very quickly, or doing it in school, but there isn't masses to do at home - usually less than half an hour per evening, sometimes none at all. Maybe an hour at the weekend.

Don't have any experience yet of university transfer and bear in mind that any staff doing it now may well have moved on by the time your own child goes through it, so probably not a key factor.

The sports ground at Northey is lovely and well used. The boys have Games one afternoon per week, so travel over to Northey on a minibus after lunch (think it's about 15 mins) then get taken back afterwards. Sometimes they're a little later back after Games, sometimes a bit early.

My DS is keen on science and maths and is enjoying it, but whether you'd say there was a particular focus on it I don't know.
Hmmm

Post by Hmmm »

WCGS:
1. School is building now a new Music block (as well as DT block), so it should be great soon:). Lots of concerts, competitions, etc. Music teachers are lovely. Instrumental lessons are on 1-2-1 basis and parents have to pay (but I think it's the same as in other schools)
2. Regarding homework - I would say substantial amount, but everything depends how a child is able to organise himself. My son has enough time for his "stuff" an to do homework. Teachers are very strict regarding quality and punctuality of homework.
3. Not sure yet, but I know they organise some kind of "mock" interviews for six formers.
4. Have no idea, but WCGS sport field is just great
5. No, don't think so.
"Wallington County Grammar School won the competition and their team has been invited to attend the national final in June to compete for the Challenge Shield. The London Academy of Excellence were runners-up, followed by Sutton Grammar School in third place."https://www.qmul.ac.uk/media/news/2019/ ... stry-.html
jcmum

Post by jcmum »

Many thanks for your prompt replies.
Wingman100

Post by Wingman100 »

jcmum wrote:Hi,

Was wondering if someone would be kind enough to help me with a few questions on SGS and WCGS:

1) How is the music facilities compare at SGS and WCGS? My son has strong musical ability, (grade 5).

2) How is the approach to homework in SGS and WCGS? How good are the teachers in marking and giving feedback for work done?

3) Do both the schools provide good the support to students for Higher Education with regards to university application, personal statements, Oxbridge applications etc ( I have seen the schools websites for both schools in this respect but would like the actual perspective from someone who attends the school. )

4) Is the sports ground at SGS an easy commute from the school?

5) Have heard that concentration on Science and Maths is more in SGS, Is that the case in anyone's experience?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks.
jcmum,

I have one boy at each school and would happily recommend either. I am afraid I don't know much about music but would expect both to provide strong support for music. As for the other questions:

2) Both schools give a reasonable amount of homework but not an unrealistic amount. Mine have plenty of time for non-school activity but a bit of organisation is required!

3) Not got there yet but would expect both to be very supportive........you really are thinking ahead!

4) Playing fields are in Northey Avenue, Cheam. Not too far and the school get them there. They all do it, I really wouldn't worry about this.

5) I haven't experience that. Both schools good for maths and science.

I think the two schools are quite different in a number of ways but both are excellent and neither I nor either of my sons would swap. Teachers at both school are excellent, if you focus on the school which is the best "fit" and also which is more local for you then you really can't go wrong. They are both excellent schools!

Good luck
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now