Tiffin Boys Stage 2 exam date after CAF date - WHY?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: Tiffin Boys Stage 2 exam date after CAF date - WHY?

Post by ToadMum »

Does Tiffin use the second stage as a 'pass / fail' filter, or just to rank candidates within the boys who have passed Stage 1?

If the former, it could be argued that the timing is against more than the spirit of the Admissions Code. But a weaker case, if the latter.

(X-posted with streathammum).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

The latter.
How will I know whether to put Tiffin School on my Common Application Form?
After the Stage One tests, which are a sifting process, we will let you know whether your son has been invited to the Stage Two tests. (no results will be given). If he has, and you wish to apply for a place at Tiffin School, you should put Tiffin School on your Common Application Form as one of your preferences. The Common Application Form can be obtained from your local authority.
If your son is NOT invited to the Stage Two Tests and you do put Tiffin School on your Common Application Form, your application will be ineligible.
http://www.tiffinschool.co.uk/_docs/adm ... 0Entry.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Annie1

Post by Annie1 »

Toadmum
From my understanding anybody who don’t put Tiffin as there number 1 choice has no chance irrespective of score, and the scores aren't in until after the deadline day, so you think that’s ok ? Why can’t they play by the rules like everyone else
anonymparent

Post by anonymparent »

Annie1 wrote:Toadmum
From my understanding anybody who don’t put Tiffin as there number 1 choice has no chance irrespective of score, and the scores aren't in until after the deadline day, so you think that’s ok ? Why can’t they play by the rules like everyone else
That can't be true. The schools do not know your preference order. That is managed by your local council.
One probably has concluded that because they were also eligible to be selected by their higher preference school.

If the score is good enough to be selected, Tiffin would offer the place provided the child meets other criteria like catchment. Then your local council would decide to take that offer because you have not been offered by the schools which were your higher preference or turn it down as you have already got your higher preference choice.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Annie1 wrote:Toadmum
This isn't true. The school makes its offers based on its published admissions criteria and the criteria don't include where you put the school on the CAF.

It is true that you won't get Tiffin Boys if you don't pass Stage 1. It's also true (looking at the thread on this year's admissions) that you probably won't get Tiffin Boys if you're not in the top priority area.

You will know BEFORE the CAF deadline whether or not your son has passed for Tiffin because all boys who pass Stage 1 are qualified. Stage 2 ranks the boys but as you don't get scores for Stage 2 it doesn't matter whether it's before or after the deadline.

Put the schools on your CAF in your genuine order of preference. You can't leapfrog people who would be higher up the admissions criteria than you, and you can't be leapfrogged.
Annie1

Post by Annie1 »

Then I was misinformed.
Apologies
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

People are often confused by head teachers who say "If you want to come to this school you must out us first" when what they mean us "If this school is genuinely your first choice put us first because if you fulfil the criteria for a school that you place higher you will be offered that school".
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Annie1 wrote:Then I was misinformed.
Apologies
You wouldn't be the first one - the Equal Preference system has been a requirement for many years now, but despite this, every year there will be people who willfully or otherwise spread misinformation about how the admissions process works. And every year, there will be those who believe them, rather than the true description of the process which every local authority provides on its website, usually with nice, clear, worked examples, and generally somewhere pretty close to the bit one clicks on to complete one's CAF.

As anonymparent and streathammum have already stated, you get offered your highest ranked school for which your DC ranks high enough according to the school's published admissions criteria. Where you ranked the school on your CAF is not relevant to where the school ranks your DC. Honest :) .
Last edited by ToadMum on Sat May 11, 2019 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Javster

Post by Javster »

I love this forum. You are all such a font and wealth of knowledge, experience and information. Thank you for taking the time to explain this. I've been genuinely confused by all of it.

It makes so much more sense now.

Thanks

Javster
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

You’re welcome. It’s equally lovely (for everyone) to find someone who comes back to the thread and says thank you to the contributors. :)
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.