Tiffin Boys vs Wallington Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Eleven+

Tiffin Boys vs Wallington Grammar

Post by Eleven+ »

I've been wrecking my brain for the past two weeks as what to do regarding choice of schools so help is needed!

Back on the 1st of March, my son was offered our first choice school - WCGS :D

However, two weeks ago, I had a call from Tiffin School to let me know that he's done well on their test and to ask me why I didn't put the school on the CAF form? (we live in Kingston Borough and the reason Tiffin wasn't on my list was because at the time we were supposed to move to Sutton). When I explained this, the person asked if I would like him on Tiffin's waiting list but she did say that this is not a guarantee at all (to which I said yes).

Yesterday, I had an email from Tiffin school to let me know he's been offered a place there and a few hours later I had another email from Kingston to say the same and to give us a week to think about it and confirm either way.

I am now completely confused. We are still living in Kingston and can (or don't have to) move to Sutton. As WCGS was confirmed, we started talking about the move. However, Tiffin's offer is now on the table and we need to take that into consideration. Do any of you have experience from either of the schools to compare? We liked Wallington for its community and inclusive spirit. We liked the headmaster and I personally think he's got the right energy and enthusiasm to push the school to become even more successful. I don't know much about Tiffin apart from the fact that is also a great school. I am confused.

Any thoughts or experiences will be helpful. Good or bad.

Really appreciate your help.
Tinkers

Re: Tiffin Boys vs Wallington Grammar

Post by Tinkers »

Think back to why you agreed to go on the WL for Tiffin. If it was really something you’d not wanted you wouldn’t have done.

If you are now only moving for school, and not for the original reason, then not having to move would save you all the hassle that goes with that, but you do need to know if Tiffin is the right school for your DS.
raisingkids

Post by raisingkids »

Both are excellent schools. I have a DS at Tiffin and am very happy with it. Equally we liked WCGS when we went through this process, but Tiffin was a better journey and was higher on our CAF. If you don't have to move I wouldn't. You can't go wrong at either school and the easier the commute the better for the child. Equally, the change to secondary school is huge for the child. Not having to move gives them a sense of security as they start somewhere new. My DS still has his local friends who are all at different schools and his Tiffin school friends.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Presumably the OP had to make the decision some weeks ago. OP let us know what you decided.
scary mum
Eleven+

Post by Eleven+ »

We opted for Tiffin in the end.
It was a stressful week back then as Tiffin did come from nowhere (so to speak) and we were given a week to decide from the moment official offer was on the table.

DS is looking forward to it. Commute is just 15 min by bus and all his friends are still around. :D

Thank you to those who responded. It is the fact that we didn't need to move mixed with an easy commute to school that won in the end.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now