Girls joining Nonsuch 2019

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

judith1209

Girls joining Nonsuch 2019

Post by judith1209 »

Hello
Just want to open this thread to say hello to parents of girls who go to Nonsuch this September.
We attended welcome activity today but my girl is still very nervous to start her new school where she has no friend there. Is any of yours in similar situation? We live in Motspur Park- anyone live near?
KingstonMama

Re: Girls joining Nonsuch 2019

Post by KingstonMama »

Hello!

My daughter will be getting the 613 home from Nonsuch which passes through Motspur Park (she is returning to Tolworth) - in case your daughter is getting this bus? There seem to be a lot of whatsapp groups getting set up for different classes which might be another way to help find out if anyone is coming from Motspur Park, or the Classlist App has a map view option of the year 7 families who have signed up so far.

My daughter is very shy, although has enjoyed her induction days. I worry a bit about her having high hopes but being too shy to talk to anyone and wondering where she's going wrong a few days/weeks down the line. It's a big change for them, isn't it? My daughter also doesn't have anyone from her school going to Nonsuch with her.
judith1209

Post by judith1209 »

KingstonMama wrote:Hello!

My daughter will be getting the 613 home from Nonsuch which passes through Motspur Park (she is returning to Tolworth) - in case your daughter is getting this bus? There seem to be a lot of whatsapp groups getting set up for different classes which might be another way to help find out if anyone is coming from Motspur Park, or the Classlist App has a map view option of the year 7 families who have signed up so far.

My daughter is very shy, although has enjoyed her induction days. I worry a bit about her having high hopes but being too shy to talk to anyone and wondering where she's going wrong a few days/weeks down the line. It's a big change for them, isn't it? My daughter also doesn't have anyone from her school going to Nonsuch with her.

Thank you for a reply, Kingstonmama,
My son is in year7, started his secondary last year and I find it quite different and a bit more concerning for my DD.
DS could make lots of new friends during their sports days and was very excited about starting a new school but my DD is even more worried after visiting their welcome events because she couldn't make any new friends there. :(

BTW I sent a PM, hope you don't mind. :wink:
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The vast majority of students going to GS do not have any friends there - and by friends I mean people they know from Primary School (who may not have actually been friends with them there...!)

Remind your DD that this is the situation and that everyone in Y7 wants to make friends so she needs to smile and take a deep breath and just talk to one or two people - sometimes the people she pals up with in the first few days become lifelong friends but, more often than not, friendship groups are fairly fluid in the first few years. Our school deliberately mixed the classes up again in Y8 so that children have to get used to new folk and again in Y9 (to do with GCSE option choices) so by the time they get further down the school they have had the chance to meet lots of their year group.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now