new mum to the 11 plus

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
geling

Post by geling »

I 100% agree with Tinam and Frechmum.
You two took the words from my mouth. My boy has been a "brainy" and extremely "bright" child in his class according to his every class teacher. In Year 3, his maths was already Level 5. I had tutored him myself for years and then put him in a famous Tiffin tutor for a year for extra intensive pushing up...in this group, he has been praised as " a very strong candidid for Tiffin" by the tutur .Moerover, before the exam, i had been also assured that " he should have no problem at all!" Little has been prepared when i opened the letter from Tiffin early this March.....the rest is a history. Look the thread i created, you may all know my story. I just want say to all the parents 09 or 10 who want their children set for any grammar schools : Nothing is enough!
On the other hand, i also want to tell you something which really shocked me. On the Tiffin's induction day early this month, I came over to a mum who told me that her son got into Tiffin only after 2 years living in the UK.
Before that, of course they didn't speak English at all. In this case, i think we must admit this boy's IQ are so high, so intellengent in academic way. If Tiffin have some boys like this, I should regard my boy as "an average " or "an ordianry".
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

JASMINE wrote:Hi Surreymum,

I was swayed to put Wallington first exactly as you said because of the fact that the results come out before you fill in the CAF and I know for a fact that so many mums are going to do the same as they also feel that it is a guaranteed place. To tell you the truth I really don't know what to put as first choice. Sutton Grammer is my son's first choice but I don't know whether I am being realistic as to passing chances. Its a hard test.
However I don't want to lose Wallington G by putting third or second.
Dear Jasmine

I promise you the equal preference scheme works. One of my sons' best friends put Wallington 3rd behind SG and Wilsons. He didn't pass SG or Wilsons but was offered Wallington on offer day. They are hoping to tempt you into putting them first-DO WHAT YOU WANT! If you ask Wallington they will confirm the system works :)
JASMINE

Post by JASMINE »

Hi Surreymum,

Yes I know your right and I am so glad I have been given this advice before I filled in the CAF. Thanks I really appreciate it!

I will put my son's first choice as the 1st choice.

I think alot of niave parents like myself have been led to think otherwise and we probably would have got a school we didn't want.

Thanks again. :wink:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now