SET first Stage vs Tiffin first Stage

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BabaPabz

SET first Stage vs Tiffin first Stage

Post by BabaPabz »

Got my DS's SET result back today and he didn't make to the second round of sutton.
He has the Tiffin exam coming up next week. I had the impression the SET was much easier than Tiffin's first stage. Am I right? just trying to plan and weigh up DS's chance for Tiffins.

We be grateful to hear from anyone with experience of both.
cheers
Bluearrow

Re: SET first Stage vs Tiffin first Stage

Post by Bluearrow »

BabaPabz wrote:Got my DS's SET result back today and he didn't make to the second round of sutton.
He has the Tiffin exam coming up next week. I had the impression the SET was much easier than Tiffin's first stage. Am I right? just trying to plan and weigh up DS's chance for Tiffins.

We be grateful to hear from anyone with experience of both.
cheers
I don't know much about the English. For maths, the Tiffins paper is always more challenging than the SET. Plus, this year's SET maths paper sounded to be a lot easier than previous ones.
BabaPabz

Post by BabaPabz »

Absolutely true. After the Exam, DS thought the test was much easier than the practice test he had done well in and the Maths is his strong point. Honestly, don't know what happened there.

The English test seems pretty different to SET.
Irisa

Post by Irisa »

Tiffin Boys exams are not easier than Sutton SET and it probably has more applications per place (nobody from their Outer Priority Area was offered a place last year).
BabaPabz

Post by BabaPabz »

Was not suggesting Tiffin is easier. It much more difficult for both maths and english.
DS said Sutton stage 1 was easier than the practise exam he did well in.

we (myself and DS) both know Tiffins will be tough.
sleeplessmum

Post by sleeplessmum »

Hi, please don’t loose hope..it is very dependent if the child is willing to do it. Just to give you an idea a friend’s son didn’t pass the 1st stage to enter for the second stage for SGS or Wilson but he managed to pass Tiffins and is now studying in Tiffins.
mumili

Post by mumili »

don't lose hope. performance on test day varies a lot - speaking from experience.
Pinkpelican

Post by Pinkpelican »

One major difference between SGS/Wilson's /WCGS and Tiffin is the number of questions in their first test. Tiffin first test has many more questions to be completed in 50 min of time. As far as I remember, last year they had 100 questions in English and I am not sure how many in Maths to be done in 50 min (for each subject). That means they not only have to be accurate but very speedy too.

I completely agree that it all depends on their performance on the day and (again, in my experience) being as calm as possible and approaching it pragmatically for the sake of the child, is the best way forward.

Good luck to you for Tuesday.

PP
bridge

Post by bridge »

I agree with the don't worry/panic sentiments. I too know of two boys who failed the SET but gained places at Tiffin. Keep going there is not long left.
BabaPabz

Post by BabaPabz »

Thanks you all for your messages of encouragement. DS is really up for giving it a go!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now