**Urgent** Please Help SET stage 1 score confusion

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
newbie20

**Urgent** Please Help SET stage 1 score confusion

Post by newbie20 »

I received email saying my ds didn't qualify in stage 2. But Set stage 1 score appears far lower.
Does any know to get total standardised score , you just to need to add English and Maths standardised score or something else needs to be done before you get standardised score.

If it is simple addition of two standardised scores together, the score would be at least 28 marks more.
Any body could confirm Please ?
timeflies

Re: **Urgent** Please Help SET stage 1 score confusion

Post by timeflies »

Hi
I think the answer is NO it is not just a case of adding the 2 scores
For SGS if you look at the second stage FAQ
There will be 4 standardised scores generated
Set English
Set maths (I think these are re-standardised within the second stage cohort so may well change from the SET ones)
Second stage English
Second stage maths

They are then weighted 2.2.3.3 Then an age allowance . Then rounded to the nearest four marks to give the final score.

For Wilsons you need to look at their website to see how they use the scores

Hope that helps
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

newbie20 wrote:I received email saying my ds didn't qualify in stage 2. But Set stage 1 score appears far lower.
Does any know to get total standardised score , you just to need to add English and Maths standardised score or something else needs to be done before you get standardised score.

If it is simple addition of two standardised scores together, the score would be at least 28 marks more.
Any body could confirm Please ?
The score you’ve been given will have been restandardised so it is only being compared against the boys who took the second stage. So while he may have scored 220 (for example) as maths and English added up in the first round, this could become 90 as a single SET mark when only compared against the boys sitting the second test. Does that help? If you’d like to pm me the scores, I’ll try to help more if I can.

Edited to add: sorry if I’m making things more confusing - I haven’t seen an example of the scores so am guessing at what you have seen.
longtimelurker12

Post by longtimelurker12 »

i posted this in another thread but hope you can help me too

Hello, long time lurker here with another query about standardised/SET scores
Son was confirmed that had reached the standard for WCGS he would be considered for a place at WCGS after the SET test.

Didn’t pass for Sutton or Wilsons, but Sutton sent this in their email
60% of his SET English standardised score of 103.06,
60% of his SET Maths standardised score of 62.83

After looking at another posters link to the FOI request about the pass mark for the WCGS
SET 2019 (for 2020 entry) - the WCGS pass mark from the SET was set at 218.5
how do I get from the sutton email of a total standardised score of 165 to passing the WCGS SET exam that has a pass mark of 218
rpl

Post by rpl »

longtimelurker12 wrote:i posted this in another thread but hope you can help me too

Son was confirmed that had reached the standard for WCGS he would be considered for a place at WCGS after the SET test.

After looking at another posters link to the FOI request about the pass mark for the WCGS
how do I get from the sutton email of a total standardised score of 165 to passing the WCGS SET exam that has a pass mark of 218
Is it possible that 103.06 and 62.83 are the 60% values and not the total? So maybe my English he scored 173 (so 60% is 103.06) and in Maths he scored 105, making a total SET score 278?? Will be good to see the whole text of the email if this doesn't add up.
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

The scores sent by SGS do not correspond to the SET score because a new data analysis was carried out using the top 1000 boys to get these scores. The 218.5+ from the SET was the result of a comparison among 3000 boys who took the first exam.
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

longtimelurker12 wrote:i posted this in another thread but hope you can help me too

There isn’t really a way to convert your new scores back to the SET score. The SET score was the result of analysis of 3000 boys; these new scores are your son’s results compared to the top 1000.
These scores tell us that your son performed in the top 500 (50%) of the stage 2 cohort for English, and bottom 50 (5%) for Maths.
Here’s what I would do to get an idea of his SET score: look at spreadsheet in the link below. Filter to just show boys from your son’s birth month. Discard everything below 218.5 and everything over 223 (educated guess that it would be lower than this). How many possible scores does that leave you with?

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1445752" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
longtimelurker12

Post by longtimelurker12 »

Hi that's really helpful i had no idea you could get that information, and even so soon after the actual exam.
it looks like there might be 15 within those scores, though i have no idea what that means for his chances.
Will have to keep fingers crossed as it may be tight.
thanks again every one!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now