Format of Tiffin Boys Stage 2 exam?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tryingtokeepup

Format of Tiffin Boys Stage 2 exam?

Post by Tryingtokeepup »

Hello.

What is the format, how long etc of the Tiffin Boys Stage 2 exam, please? I can’t see anything on their website.

Thank you
tiffinboys

Re: Format of Tiffin Boys Stage 2 exam?

Post by tiffinboys »

7.12 The Stage Two Test will be written tests in English and Maths.
Standard format, 2 papers (off memory) of about 45 to 60 minutes each.
Tryingtokeepup

Post by Tryingtokeepup »

Thank you - is English comprehension and essay?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Style of paper can change every year, but Yes, it has been one part Comprehension and second, creative writing.
Sate

Post by Sate »

So let me get this straight - 45min total for both comprehension AND creative writing? How much time should we allocate to creative writing?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

My information may be slightly old. But as I recall, maths is about 45 minutes and English about 60 minutes.
befuddled19

Post by befuddled19 »

When one of my other children took the test 4 years ago, the email was worded very clearly that there would be 3 exams, Maths, English & Comprehension. Pick up was 12.20.

This year the email advises that there are 2 papers, Maths & English and pick up is 11.45 so overall time has shortened. A friend suggested that last year the test was only writing, no comprehension, although she said her son wasn't entirely reliable.
Pinkpelican

Post by Pinkpelican »

My son took Tiffin test last year and their second stage English exam consisted of a written essay only. They were given some random objects and had to write a story incorporating all of them into it. I vaguely remember they had 50 min to do it (could have been 45).
mrsnoname

Post by mrsnoname »

Whereas the year before English consisted of a three-part comprehension test and a creative writing task based on a picture...
BabaPabz

Post by BabaPabz »

Pinkpelican wrote:My son took Tiffin test last year and their second stage English exam consisted of a written essay only. They were given some random objects and had to write a story incorporating all of them into it. I vaguely remember they had 50 min to do it (could have been 45).
The letter for this year says the second stage of both Maths and Eng will be 40% each and the first stage will be 10%. I somehow do not believe they will make the creative writing weigh 40% of the total assessment. Is this possible......?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now