Chances of getting a Sutton School on offer day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mightymom

Chances of getting a Sutton School on offer day

Post by mightymom »

Hi ,
My DS has cleared Wally, Sutton & Wilson. We live in Surrey. What are the chances of getting a Sutton school on offer day.
dbanugo

Re: Chances of getting a Sutton School on offer day

Post by dbanugo »

I believe the first choice you choose makes a lot of difference in whether that school would accept you or not.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Then you believe wrong.

Schools operate an equal preference system. You need to list the schools in the order you truly want them. If you meet the admissions criteria for the first one (including any entrance test for selective schools) then you will get an offer. If you don’t, the county council will look at the second school you have listed, AS IF IT WAS YOUR FIRST and will see if you meet the admissions criteria and so on.

You cannot leapfrog ahead of someone else by being clever with your CAF - you MUST list it in your true order.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Putting them first makes no difference to whether they will accept you. All schools operate an equal preference system & do not know where you have put them on the list. This means that you should put your schools in the true order of preference - if you can be offered your first choice you will be. If not, your second choice becomes your first, and so on. When heads say "If you want this school you should put us first" what they really mean is "If this is genuinely your first choice, put us first, or you might be allocated whatever school you have put first".

Cross posts with kcg
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

dbanugo wrote:I believe the first choice you choose makes a lot of difference in whether that school would accept you or not.
As kenyancowgirl and scary mum have said this is totally incorrect - out of date by well over a decade. If you are currently in the process of applying for a state school yourself (secondary or, a bit later on, primary), I would really urge you to read the information on the Admissions pages on your local authority's website before completing any submitting your application. And have a read of the Admissions Code on the gov.uk website, perhaps.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
KingstonMama

Post by KingstonMama »

As others say, it depends on their admissions code. We live in Surrey but our house is within the distance criteria to be in catchment for nonsuch which is a grammar school in Sutton, and so she got an in catchment place.
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

Your chances are very good based on previous years. If he has passed Wilson’s (which passes the fewest), he is very unlikely to have one of the lowest SET scores of those who passed Wally Boys (unless he completely aced the second test of course), so chances of being offered one of the three are very good, although not guaranteed, as it depends on the numbers putting them down on the form.
squareofthewicket

Post by squareofthewicket »

I am surprised how often parent's get the concept of equal preference in school allocation wrong. I thought that maybe the LA websites are not very clear about this; so I checked the Sutton Council's website.

https://www.sutton.gov.uk/downloads/fil ... oklet_2020" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you download thiss PDF and scroll down to page 17 How are places allocated?
, they can't be anymore clear than this.
sanpoolo

Post by sanpoolo »

My son got enough marks for Sutton and did not get the enough marks Wilson. He got 473 for Wilson. cutoff is 480

we are in the catchment area as well, can you please let me what is the chance to get the sutton.

if any of last year parents share their detail , it will be very helpful

thank you
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Unfortunately no one can tell your chances.
No one other than the school hold the information you are seeking.
There is a chance your son will get SGS or Wallington so if they are schools you would like him to go to you should list them on the CAF.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now