Is your DD happy at Tiffin Girls?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ATk2020

Re: Is your DD happy at Tiffin Girls?

Post by ATk2020 »

Twyford is within walking distance but we are not eligible due to religious criteria and the only route to get in is via the music which I doubt would be possible. Other local-ish schools and straightforward transportation (Piccadilly line) are Ellen Wilkinson and Elthorne Park both recently become outstanding schools, as well as Ealing Fields which is quite popular among DD’s school. The independent Notting Hill and Ealing High school is also in our consideration but obviously that comes with a price tag.

Our top preference is still TGS and DD is keen to go. Yes we are in the designated area otherwise I won’t even want to consider it.

I wonder if kids go to school on their own (regardless of journey time) do you GPS them? I know you can get a special kid GPS watch have you seen anyone using it or they just have mobile phones with GPS function? Sounds crazy to let a 10yo child to go to school alone (no other choice unfortunately). My DD even asked permission already if she can travel alone when in Y6 which is a tube station away from where we live.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think you will be surprised how quickly they grow up. Presumably she will have a phone with her? You can find her using that if you really need to (not underground, of course). I travelled to school on the underground from the age of 9, although I do realise that it was back close to the dawn of time.
scary mum
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

You could try Twyford, as you’re so near it. Would you take it in the unlikely event of being offered a place? If so, I’d consider putting it first. The student population is pretty diverse and the admissions page says:
All applicants, including those of no faith, wishing to apply for a place at the school must fill in their home local authority’s Common Application Form.
https://twyford.ealing.sch.uk/attending ... admissions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think testing for music places has now closed at Twyford, and the SIF deadline for religious places has closed, but you can still apply for open places, just by listing it on your CAF.

https://twyford.ealing.sch.uk/attending ... -procedure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you put TGS second and score enough for it, but aren’t offered Twyford, you’ll get TGS on the first round.

Then fill in the rest in order of preference / convenience. Deciding is hard, but you’ll soon be ready.

As for tracking, if the two of you have iPhones (even old ones), you can each share your location with the other. It’s handy. :-)
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Yes that would be worth a shot, but, I have never known a DC get into Twyford without somewhat more than meeting the faith or music criteria, it is a notoriously selective school. I am aware of one DC who got in on appeal (faith based) but it was a long journey.
mad?
KingstonMama

Post by KingstonMama »

ATk2020 wrote:Twyford is within walking distance but we are not eligible due to religious criteria and the only route to get in is via the music which I doubt would be possible. Other local-ish schools and straightforward transportation (Piccadilly line) are Ellen Wilkinson and Elthorne Park both recently become outstanding schools, as well as Ealing Fields which is quite popular among DD’s school. The independent Notting Hill and Ealing High school is also in our consideration but obviously that comes with a price tag.

Our top preference is still TGS and DD is keen to go. Yes we are in the designated area otherwise I won’t even want to consider it.

I wonder if kids go to school on their own (regardless of journey time) do you GPS them? I know you can get a special kid GPS watch have you seen anyone using it or they just have mobile phones with GPS function? Sounds crazy to let a 10yo child to go to school alone (no other choice unfortunately). My DD even asked permission already if she can travel alone when in Y6 which is a tube station away from where we live.
Google maps location sharing is fairly good as long as your child turns their phone on. I looked into more complicated options but this has been fine, mostly used in the early days when I was still a bit overprotective!
Lovem

Post by Lovem »

KingstonMama wrote:
ATk2020 wrote:Twyford is within walking distance but we are not eligible due to religious criteria and the only route to get in is via the music which I doubt would be possible. Other local-ish schools and straightforward transportation (Piccadilly line) are Ellen Wilkinson and Elthorne Park both recently become outstanding schools, as well as Ealing Fields which is quite popular among DD’s school. The independent Notting Hill and Ealing High school is also in our consideration but obviously that comes with a price tag.

Google maps location sharing is fairly good as long as your child turns their phone on. I looked into more complicated options but this has been fine, mostly used in the early days when I was still a bit overprotective!
App called Zenly is really useful for locating your contacts, you can see exactly where they are and how they are moving, as long as all of you are online.
mumworried1

Post by mumworried1 »

Hi, I would suggest not discounting HBS. There are private door to door coaches and I know Ealing Broadway is one of the last stops. They pick up 7:50 and drop off 4:15... it sounds much better than the train+65.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mumworried1 wrote:Hi, I would suggest not discounting HBS. There are private door to door coaches and I know Ealing Broadway is one of the last stops. They pick up 7:50 and drop off 4:15... it sounds much better than the train+65.
Do they run a late coach for after school activities?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ATk2020

Post by ATk2020 »

mumworried1 wrote:Hi, I would suggest not discounting HBS. There are private door to door coaches and I know Ealing Broadway is one of the last stops. They pick up 7:50 and drop off 4:15... it sounds much better than the train+65.
Interesting to know that, thanks for this information. What time would the girls need to be at school? Sounds quite late at 7.50am pick up (which is not a bad thing!) especially during rush hour plus other en routes pick up required. Do you have the information about this private coach service which you can pm me?
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

I agree with the point about after school activities. Don’t rush home. There’s no need and those who do won’t take full advantage of what these schools have to offer.

And don’t forget to check how much the coach would cost per term. Also whether it is roadworthy, licensed to carry passengers, has DBS checked drivers, appropriate insurance, etc. (Coaches serving both Tiffin schools were inspected at the gates more than once and found unsuitable. I think some were impounded on the spot and the students had to figure out an alternative way home with zero warning (or planning). Be careful.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.