Tiffin School (boys) 2020 Allocation and WL

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tryingtokeepup

Re: Tiffin School (boys) 2020 Allocation and WL

Post by Tryingtokeepup »

So for 2)

No more boys left at all who have taken the Round 2 test, or those abovea certain mark??
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

No more boys from inner area who sat for round 2 test.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
shantpdl

Post by shantpdl »

Hi,
Our son is on waiting list with 103 combined score and the cut off this year for last boy who got the place was 106.
How does it work? Are there any chances to get place? How soon the wait list would start moving?
I presume the school is expected to share the wait list with exact number soon?
BabaPabz

Post by BabaPabz »

@ Shantpdl
I think the email says they will send the list just before Easter.

...on a different note does anyone know how many sat the stage 1 and stage exams respectively? Just trying to work out probably position on the WL.
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

BabaPabz wrote:@ Shantpdl
I think the email says they will send the list just before Easter.

...on a different note does anyone know how many sat the stage 1 and stage exams respectively? Just trying to work out probably position on the WL.
You can only guess the waiting list position, doesn't matter how much science or statistical analysis you apply. You are analysing a distorted distribution. As an example chances are only those with a chance of passing were entered, so not going to be loads getting low marks, so left tail on a distribution will fall off sharply

Another way of thinking is perhaps only 3 got 105 , but 23 got 104, you simply don't know. The reality is say 100 candidates got within +/- 5 marks of pass mark, but guessing how many got what score within that 10 mark range is just a guess
BabaPabz

Post by BabaPabz »

Yep, theoretically, the distribution of the final score is a linear combination of the distribution of the four scores …..and that is not impossible to derive. Yes, so any calculation will be a guess.
A couple more questions.
a) Does Tiffins ever overoffer, in anticipation of people choosing indie over them?
b) When the waiting list is revealed, are we just told the position or they send a complete list like the anonymised one Sutton grammar puts in the public domain?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

a) Never heard of.
b) You will be given WL position. Presumably, all the WL candidates already know their score.
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

a) over offer has never been disclosed, but I suspect they do

My logic is if historically have say 25+ always decline, then it is fairly safe to over offer about 10-15 as still got some margin.
Saves time having to send acceptances to first few on waiting list, and see if still interested

There will be some who applied late (moved house etc), or requested order change after applying. From memory there is an admin window until about early December where LA can enter these, the rest get held until 1st March. Thus some with higher test scores but not originally offered a place can jump in at top of waiting list when late changes added. I would guess anyone requesting order changes will have done it by now.

Many of the Independents expect places to be accepted and deposits paid early March, so would expect a fair number of declines to be in by now, thus freeing up places. If there was no over offer would probably be seeing new offers already, but as the first waiting list offers are often not until April, suggests they are drawing down over offers during March. But I maybe wrong and they are just accumulating spaces but not yet offering from wait list
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Don’t know about this year, but as per my information, over offer has not been made previously, at least in last 7 years. And that is the reason that WL has moved fairly quickly and last year, it did go over 45.
BabaPabz

Post by BabaPabz »

doc on the school website show the initial numbers of offers....http://www.tiffinschool.co.uk/_docs/adm ... 202019.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

almost always 180
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now