Possible commute from Ilford/Gantshill/around to WILSON

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rocky

Re: Possible commute from Ilford/Gantshill/around to WILSON

Post by rocky »

Unless you own a helicopter or intend to move in the summer I would advise you to give up the place so someone else can take it. I appreciate parents would do what it takes to get their child into a good school but this is literally this is too much.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

saurish09 wrote:Thanks for all your inputs. I am against it too, but want to be sure - before completely ruling it out.
OP, have you got a Wilsons offer for starting in September? Or are you just considering options for a child in Y5?

If your DS is in Y5 then all you need to do is discount the schools that are on the other side of London. They are not reachable from where you live now.

If you have been offered Wilsons now for a child in Y6 you need to accept the place. If you don't accept the place, your council won't have to help you find another school somewhere else.

Once you have accepted the place, you need to decide whether you're going to move (Sutton is lovely and surprisingly affordable) or try to find another school closer to home. You should put your son onto the waiting lists of local schools and hope that you are offered a place at one. If you have a local school that admits on distance and you join the waiting list now, you may be near the top, but the longer you leave it the harder it will be to find another school.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

saurish09 wrote:Thanks for all your inputs. I am against it too, but want to be sure - before completely ruling it out.
So has your DS been offered a place at Wilson's for September? If so, what is your alternative strategy? Di you actually list somewhere more sensible as a higher preference, that your DS has a reasonable chance of getting from the waiting list?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
saurish09

Post by saurish09 »

Thank you very much for your inputs.

My son has been offered a seat at Wilson couple of days back. Even in the worst case scenario, i am not intending to make my son travel that long for more than a month. This is because, while i have great respect for Wilson, we have QE as our first choice and there is a 20 odd % chance of we getting a place (waitlist 40) . If qe, we dont have to move. Honestly we are still in double minds on the school to pick given this scenario. So was exploring all options.. (may be long travel for a very short time).
Thanks again for your inputs. Really helpful.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

But Ilford to QE is still 15 miles across urban London with no direct train or bus routes and a journey by car of 90 minutes. Are you sure you don't have to move?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

streathammum wrote:But Ilford to QE is still 15 miles across urban London with no direct train or bus routes and a journey by car of 90 minutes. Are you sure you don't have to move?
QE actually runs a coach service from around Gants Hill.
https://www.qebarnet.co.uk/admissions-i ... inding_us/
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Wow, I had no idea QE organised so many coaches. People do want to come from a very long way away.