Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:40 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Special arrangements
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:32 am
Posts: 13
Does anyone have any experience of special arrangements? As the whole 11 plus process is not very transparent, I wondered whether any element of conscious or sub-conscious bias would creep in and impact negatively on a candidate who had special arrangements, particularly if they had a borderline score (in Stage 2). What do others think?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Special arrangements
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:00 pm
Posts: 7984
Location: Surrey
Quite a vague query. If you have any specific issue, then ask about it clearly.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Special arrangements
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:45 pm
Posts: 7299
WParkMum wrote:
Does anyone have any experience of special arrangements? As the whole 11 plus process is not very transparent, I wondered whether any element of conscious or sub-conscious bias would creep in and impact negatively on a candidate who had special arrangements, particularly if they had a borderline score (in Stage 2). What do others think?

The results are all processed by computer, which wouldn't know about any special arrangement, I would have thought, the scores are just inserted into a computer programme.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Special arrangements
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:32 am
Posts: 13
scary mum wrote:
WParkMum wrote:
Does anyone have any experience of special arrangements? As the whole 11 plus process is not very transparent, I wondered whether any element of conscious or sub-conscious bias would creep in and impact negatively on a candidate who had special arrangements, particularly if they had a borderline score (in Stage 2). What do others think?

The results are all processed by computer, which wouldn't know about any special arrangement, I would have thought, the scores are just inserted into a computer programme.


Thank you. Yes, I think that would be the case for Stage 1, but not Stage 2, where I think the results would have to be marked by people.

I just didn't know if it would be held against the candidate in some way if they had special arrangements, e.g. extra time. This may sound a bit conspiracy theorist but I just wanted to get thoughts from the forum.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Special arrangements
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:32 am
Posts: 13
tiffinboys wrote:
Quite a vague query. If you have any specific issue, then ask about it clearly.


Hope my response to Scary Mum makes my query clearer.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Special arrangements
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:12 pm
Posts: 48
WParkMum wrote:
scary mum wrote:
WParkMum wrote:
Does anyone have any experience of special arrangements? As the whole 11 plus process is not very transparent, I wondered whether any element of conscious or sub-conscious bias would creep in and impact negatively on a candidate who had special arrangements, particularly if they had a borderline score (in Stage 2). What do others think?

The results are all processed by computer, which wouldn't know about any special arrangement, I would have thought, the scores are just inserted into a computer programme.


Thank you. Yes, I think that would be the case for Stage 1, but not Stage 2, where I think the results would have to be marked by people.

I just didn't know if it would be held against the candidate in some way if they had special arrangements, e.g. extra time. This may sound a bit conspiracy theorist but I just wanted to get thoughts from the forum.


If a candidate has been given extra time to complete an exam because they have special arrangements, there will be no bias. There is strict governance on who gets a special arrangement and documentary evidence will need to be supplied for this to be granted. Where special arrangements are granted it will ensure candidates get a fair chance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Special arrangements
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:12 pm
Posts: 48
WParkMum wrote:
scary mum wrote:
WParkMum wrote:
Does anyone have any experience of special arrangements? As the whole 11 plus process is not very transparent, I wondered whether any element of conscious or sub-conscious bias would creep in and impact negatively on a candidate who had special arrangements, particularly if they had a borderline score (in Stage 2). What do others think?

The results are all processed by computer, which wouldn't know about any special arrangement, I would have thought, the scores are just inserted into a computer programme.


Thank you. Yes, I think that would be the case for Stage 1, but not Stage 2, where I think the results would have to be marked by people.

I just didn't know if it would be held against the candidate in some way if they had special arrangements, e.g. extra time. This may sound a bit conspiracy theorist but I just wanted to get thoughts from the forum.


If a candidate has been given extra time to complete an exam because they have special arrangements, there will be no bias. There is strict governance on who gets a special arrangement and documentary evidence will need to be supplied for this to be granted. Where special arrangements are granted it will ensure candidates get a fair chance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Special arrangements
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:00 pm
Posts: 7984
Location: Surrey
Markers would not know of the special arrangements. They could only mark the script in front of them, whether completed in normal time allowed, or using extra time or with help from writing helper etc.

_________________
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2020