Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:08 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:33 pm
Posts: 7
I have seen different books but can not decide which one to choose!
Bonds, cgp or anything else? Which one of these books is very close to the Tiffin girls school test level?
TIA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:00 pm
Posts: 7984
Location: Surrey
Few years back, for multiple choice stage 1, we relied mostly on GL papers alongside few others for variety. First Past the Post also considered strong enough.

But first concentrate on covering whole of KS2 syllabus and then some of KS3 work relating to KS2 syllabus. Most candidates find Creative writing difficult and often that makes the difference.

Lot of reading and improving on vocabulary is essential.

_________________
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:16 pm
Posts: 7
Specifically for Tiffin Girls, our tutor recommended:
- Schofield & Sims English 11+ Progress Papers
- GCP 11+ Math Word Problems, 10 minute tests

We found them quite useful. I hope this helps!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:33 pm
Posts: 7
The-Kingstonian wrote:
Specifically for Tiffin Girls, our tutor recommended:
- Schofield & Sims English 11+ Progress Papers
- GCP 11+ Math Word Problems, 10 minute tests

We found them quite useful. I hope this helps!


Thanks a lot


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:33 pm
Posts: 7
tiffinboys wrote:
Few years back, for multiple choice stage 1, we relied mostly on GL papers alongside few others for variety. First Past the Post also considered strong enough.

But first concentrate on covering whole of KS2 syllabus and then some of KS3 work relating to KS2 syllabus. Most candidates find Creative writing difficult and often that makes the difference.

Lot of reading and improving on vocabulary is essential.



Thank you


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:42 am
Posts: 22
CGP 10 minute comprehensions are also useful.

None of those books you can buy will be anywhere near the difficulty level of the actual exam though so prepare your DD to be surprised... and make sure she reads a whole range of good books. We found an exam paper company that started selling 'Tiffin type' practice papers (quite expensive) and my DD said they were at least vaguely similar. Worth looking at those. Unfortunately I can't remember where they were from!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:38 am
Posts: 102
My daughters view was that the preparation we did was much tougher than the actual exam. We used mainly the books that have already been mentioned and past papers that I bought on eBay. I had some of my daughter's friends' parents ask if their children could join our preparation. What I realised was that they did not have a comprehensive understanding of the KS2 syllabus - literally the basics. It's no good learning KS3 etc just have a very good understanding of the basics. Then move onto test papers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:33 pm
Posts: 7
Schulte wrote:
CGP 10 minute comprehensions are also useful.

None of those books you can buy will be anywhere near the difficulty level of the actual exam though so prepare your DD to be surprised... and make sure she reads a whole range of good books. We found an exam paper company that started selling 'Tiffin type' practice papers (quite expensive) and my DD said they were at least vaguely similar. Worth looking at those. Unfortunately I can't remember where they were from!


Thanks for your response.
Can you recommend good books please?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:42 am
Posts: 22
I would start with all the children’s classics. Bookstores such as Waterstones, newspapers including the Guardian and even Wikipedia have all published ‘must-read’ lists so just google and pick the ones that your DD might like but definitely go for a range of genres and eras so she gets used to a huge range of writing styles and vocabulary.

One recent book that I’ve never seen on any list but is truly wonderful is Rooftoppers by Katherine Rundell. Ditto Slice of the Moon by Sandi Toksvig, and its sequel too. I read them myself and really enjoyed them.

Some non fiction is useful too, children’s magazines like Aquila or even How It Works although that’s really aimed at older readers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:42 am
Posts: 22
The way we always chose books (my DDs are proper bookworms) was to buy a book from the ‘children’s classics’ table at Waterstones and then look at the inside cover for more suggestions of similarly great books. My problem now is that the girls have read most classics and I’m running out of ideas for what to give them next, but that’s an entirely different conversation...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2020