Tiffin girls school 11+ best books for preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Stroller

Re: Tiffin girls school 11+ best books for preparation

Post by Stroller »

If your local library is back in action, you may be able to borrow books free of charge on a click and collect basis.

Reading matters and should be enjoyable. If your DD doesn’t read much today, start with something appropriate to her current standard and look for stories that will interest her as well as challenge her - funny books, etc. Ask the librarian, her teacher or the sellers in a bookshop for recommendations. Nurture her interest, don’t stifle it. If she finds reading hard, try listening to the recommended stories as unabridged (full length, not simplified) audio books. Again, some will be available free through the library. You can purchase some from Audible too. Listening to good books is still a fantastic way to build vocabulary, develop a concept of story and let grammar seep in surreptitiously. A teacher can tell you which children read, just from what they write.

Another helpful website is “A mighty girl”. Some of the recommendations are US-centric, but many are all the more interesting for that. The lists also include plenty of modern European / UK authors who have written great stories. Try Terry Pratchett, Cornelia Funke, Philip Pullman. Give children suitable and well-written newspaper articles too. Variety helps. Talk about what your child is reading. What happened? Why? What do you expect will happen next? What do you think of that description? What did you dislike and why?

Developing reading skills will help your child forever, regardless of the outcome of an 11+ exam. Read together and/or let her see that you read too, so she can see that it’s important to you.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
BabaPabz

Post by BabaPabz »

I would recommend getting a Kindle Kids edition.... it comes with amazon fire subscription with over 1,000 free books to download and read. That include most classics and you can buy the more modern classics if you wish. The word-wise functionality ensure note worthy vocabularies (useful for 11+)are flagged and explained, they can also look it up within the Kindle.
Both my son (11) an d my daughter (8) have one.
You can also monitor how much they are reading each day.
bridge

Post by bridge »

I don't think the OP was referring to fiction books. I think OP meant study books such as FPTP, SS etc as they say in the first post.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Toto123 wrote:
Schulte wrote:CGP 10 minute comprehensions are also useful.

None of those books you can buy will be anywhere near the difficulty level of the actual exam though so prepare your DD to be surprised... and make sure she reads a whole range of good books. We found an exam paper company that started selling 'Tiffin type' practice papers (quite expensive) and my DD said they were at least vaguely similar. Worth looking at those. Unfortunately I can't remember where they were from!
Thanks for your response.
Can you recommend good books please?
I was replying to the question above.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Toto123

Post by Toto123 »

Stroller wrote:If your local library is back in action, you may be able to borrow books free of charge on a click and collect basis.

Reading matters and should be enjoyable. If your DD doesn’t read much today, start with something appropriate to her current standard and look for stories that will interest her as well as challenge her - funny books, etc. Ask the librarian, her teacher or the sellers in a bookshop for recommendations. Nurture her interest, don’t stifle it. If she finds reading hard, try listening to the recommended stories as unabridged (full length, not simplified) audio books. Again, some will be available free through the library. You can purchase some from Audible too. Listening to good books is still a fantastic way to build vocabulary, develop a concept of story and let grammar seep in surreptitiously. A teacher can tell you which children read, just from what they write.

Another helpful website is “A mighty girl”. Some of the recommendations are US-centric, but many are all the more interesting for that. The lists also include plenty of modern European / UK authors who have written great stories. Try Terry Pratchett, Cornelia Funke, Philip Pullman. Give children suitable and well-written newspaper articles too. Variety helps. Talk about what your child is reading. What happened? Why? What do you expect will happen next? What do you think of that description? What did you dislike and why?

Developing reading skills will help your child forever, regardless of the outcome of an 11+ exam. Read together and/or let her see that you read too, so she can see that it’s important to you.
I really appreciate your reply thank you very much.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now