Postponed SET, so frustrated and impatient.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Allegras

Postponed SET, so frustrated and impatient.

Post by Allegras »

Hello everyone,
We are Sutton residents and my DD is sitting the SET and only SET. I know these are exceptional times and I understand the school boards’ logic to postpone was to give children time to adjust before the exams. We are DIYing and I can see our DD being ready.

Any thought of having to tell her the SET is postponed even further is so upsetting. Hopefully it won’t come to that.

Is it only me who is frustrated by how late the SET was postponed? Everyone was expecting a second wave by the end of October, yet it seems exam board chose to ignore this possibility. Most of the grammar schools have completed their exams as far as I know other than Tiffin 2nd stage and St Olave’s. But what was the logic behind such delayed dates by Sutton exam board? They are not accountable to anybody, and they do not seem to care about the mental health of the children.

We are crossing fingers that no one will test positive in my DD’s class until the exams are over. But why put everyone under such stress? The exams could have been done with by now.

I know expecting common sense/realism from the very same people who insist on grammar school websites that no tutoring or serious prep is needed is futile.

Vent is over :P :cry: :oops:
tiffinboys

Re: Postponed SET, so frustrated and impatient.

Post by tiffinboys »

Missed opportunity. Lockdown from 5th November.
Allegras

Post by Allegras »

Let’s hope, lockdown does not mean exams are postponed further. Since the schools are open, I’m assuming exam will go ahead on the 11th.
Hmmm

Post by Hmmm »

I feel your pain... and they have not even sent out any info about arrangements on 11/11 - when, where, how... so frustrating
SurreyGrammar

Post by SurreyGrammar »

Hi,

I absolutely understand your worries, but there is no reason to be one more postponement on SET. The government measures are clear. School are open as usual, which means exams will go on as per planned before.

The exam guidance on Sutton Grammar’s website is, parents should expect to receive an email a week before the exam date. So, I am sure we will receive the exam date arrangements on the first half of this week and will go to exam on 11th as planned.
Golden75

Post by Golden75 »

Just got an email from the Sutton SET Administrator, they are waiting to hear from the Department of Education as to whether the SET can go ahead as planned on the 11th.

Allegras- I share your frustration, I always questioned the logic behind postponing the SET until November, late September or October would have made more sense. Even if the SET goes ahead on the 11th, those who pass will still have to sit the Stage 2 test in late November and who knows if schools will still be open then. It was pretty clear that there would be a 2nd wave this winter, the SET should have gone ahead while it was still relatively safe to do so.
Fingers crossed that we hear back soon that the SET will go ahead as planned!
Thiruvathira

Post by Thiruvathira »

Hi All
Does any one have any idea whether we will hear from SET team today?
According to St olaves admission team they are going ahead with the exams as planned.So let's hope Sutton schools will take the same decision.
confusedsw

Post by confusedsw »

Received the arrangement email already, please check your email