Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Secordary school
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:38 pm 

Hi everyone, I am new on this forum. Have a question regarding secondary school admission for my dd. I am confused between Greenshaw and Glenthorne school. Which one should I put first on CAF? Greenshaw is a grammar school with ofstead rating as good and Glenthorne's rating is outstanding. Both are great school and it's hard to choose which one to put on 1st. Both are almost at the same distance from our home. Would really appreciate your opinion on this. Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Secordary school
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:23 pm 

Greenshaw isn’t a grammar school. It’s a large comprehensive school that has 60 selective places based on the SET score. Getting in via one of those places doesn’t make any difference once they’re there (as far as I understand).

I guess you didn’t get to visit either of them? We preferred Glenthorne for lots of reasons. I remember from last year that Glenthorne’s Progress 8 score is well above average (which puts them in the top 14% in the country for that performance measurement) and Greenshaw’s is average. And if your son/daughter likes music/performing arts at all, then definitely Glenthorne.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:19 pm 

Thanks.
Yes, you are right we couldn't visit any of them due to the circumstances. Thanks for your reply, it make sense.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:59 pm 

Hi, Have another question please. How would you rate Cheam high school and Greenshaw? Which one will be better for girls. Currently I have put Greenshaw before Cheam but a bit confused as Cheam high school is outstanding. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:23 pm 

neha.anand wrote:
Hi, Have another question please. How would you rate Cheam high school and Greenshaw? Which one will be better for girls. Currently I have put Greenshaw before Cheam but a bit confused as Cheam high school is outstanding. Thanks in advance.

Unless your LA is one of the rare few allowing change of preferences after the deadline, put all such musings away in a drawer and go and find another hobby right this minute... For the vast majority of applicants changing anything on their CAF now will render their whole application late and not considered until all the on time applications have been allocated their places.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:31 am 

I completely agree with TM. Do not make any changes to your CAF without speaking to your LA otherwise you will seriously jeopardise your child’s options.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:38 am 

Between these schools, I would be mostly swayed by the easiest journey for your daughter.

I agree though, try to stop thinking about it now the applications are in. :)