What I can do if DS didn't transfer all answers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Gabriel

What I can do if DS didn't transfer all answers

Post by Gabriel »

Sorry to ask this stupid question, never think about this scenario but it was happened to my son this morning.

He managed to finish all questions in the SET exam but can't transfer all answers to the answer sheet in last 5 minutes. Not just one or two, it is about near half of all questions.

He did well on the questions but .... parents are mad now, due to the lockdown there wasn't any mock exam available this year, this is the first time he attend exam and first time to use the answer sheet. We did practice at home but obviously it is not enough

He learnt it and managed to finish it on 2nd subject.

I know he need take the responsibility for the mistake, he is quite good on academic, but I don't think if half questions not on answer sheet he can still qualify for 2nd round.
May I seek and suggestions, I know they don't accept review but if there anything we can do?

Thanks, all suggestion are welcome.
streathammum

Re: What I can do if DS didn't transfer all answers

Post by streathammum »

I don't think I quite understand. You said that he finished all the questions, but where did he write the answers if not on the answer sheet?
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

He finished all questions on exam paper, but didn't transfer all answers to answer sheet.
bridge

Post by bridge »

Do you mean he wrote the answers on the question paper? I would contact the school very quickly as I wouldn't think they personalise the question papers.

eta - my son just told me they do write their names on the question paper. I would still contact the school.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Thanks, will call the school.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Did the invigilator not tell them all to use the answer sheet rather than write the answers on the question paper before they started? DG
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

When you say you are mad now do you mean with him or yourselves?
I hope it’s neither.
Such a shame he didn’t get the chance of a mock.
Agree I would contact the school and let them know.
There maybe nothing they can do but it might help if you wanted to appeal in the future.
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

Sorry to hear this. Marking the test paper accurately yet swiftly when working at speed was something I really feared last year when my son did the SET. Timing is crucial in the maths, so I’m not surprised he didn’t gave time to transfer them.

I am told by a reliable source that they do keep the question papers for a time. I would be contacting them on the off chance they will be kind and transfer them, but I can’t speak to whether they will. Good luck.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Thanks all for your suggestion.

Actually he is great in Maths and he completed the math paper.
He started transfer answers when there was 5 minutes left, but he underestimated the task and didn't manage to finish it in 5 minutes. Purely because of lacking experience and it was his first academic exam and his first experience with answer sheet.

It will be a huge loss for both school and the kid.

The schools should provide further guide/help on it in the exam especially there was no mock/familiar exam this year.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Not everyone who sits this exam will have done a mock even in a non-Covid year.

There is a sample answer sheet on the Sutton Grammar School website.

It's too late for your boy, but hopefully your experience will emphasise to future parents the importance of making sure their children understand the format of the exam and focusing on exam technique as much as content.

Hopefully your son will have other options. Remember that the work he's put in for the SET won't be wasted, regardless of the result.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now