Sutton SET Stage 2

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
spoon123

Sutton SET Stage 2

Post by spoon123 »

Am sure we are a bit relieved with Stage 1 over. I have looked up on Sutton and Wilsons website they do not have any specimen paper for Stage 2. Having looked through forurms the one that was discussed last year did not have specific information for this.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... hp?t=58882" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any inputs from previous year's what to expect please in Math and English.

Many Thanks
spoon123

Re: Sutton SET Stage 2

Post by spoon123 »

Sorry posting last years link correctly again
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/11plus/viewtopic.php?t=58882

any inputs greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Oneoftwothings

Sutton SET Stage 2

Post by Oneoftwothings »

In 2019, for the boys exams, the English was a writing task. They were given a passage to read and asked to write a letter about it - it was something to do with aliens. That’s all my son remembers!

The maths was open answer with some multi-part questions. Harder than the SET. My son finished but it was quite common not to I believe. The hardest ones were generally at the end.
spoon123

Post by spoon123 »

Thanks for the information, much appreciate it.
RuedeWakening

Post by RuedeWakening »

The English is always a writing task of some kind - which can be anything from completing a story based on a starter they are given, producing a leaflet based on source info they have to read and comprehend.

When my daughter did it 3 years ago, she had to write a persuasive letter to the council arguing that they should invest more money to provide...it was either libraries or playgrounds, I can't remember!

Maths is word problems, sometimes with multiple steps.
spoon123

Post by spoon123 »

Thank you for your feedback
zhulu8888

Post by zhulu8888 »

Is there any planning time on writing of stage 2 and how long it is? Remember that somebody mentioned before there is 15 minutes for planning and 30 minutes for writing. Is it correct?

In addition, how many math questions in stage 2? 50?

Many thanks in advance.
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

I just asked my son this (last year’s exams). He said they were advised to spend a certain amount of time (he thinks 15 minutes sounds right) planning before beginning writing the actual task, but they weren’t then told, ‘ok, time to start writing your final piece now’; they had to manage their own time during the exam.

He doesn’t remember how many Maths questions there were.
zhulu8888

Post by zhulu8888 »

Hi Oneoftwothings thanks for your comment.

Just one more question. Regarding writing, is there two topic which you can chose any one to write? or is there only one topic?

Thanks
mad?

Post by mad? »

Just a gentle reminder to posters not to provide any test detail as there may still be late sitters.
mad?