Stage 2 Tiffin / Sutton Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sterou

Stage 2 Tiffin / Sutton Schools

Post by Sterou »

New to the forum. My DS has been offered Tiffin 2nd round, Sutton/WL 2nd round, Wallington and Greenshaw 60 able places. (very happy for him) Our aim is Tiffin, as we live walking distance... but I am keeping all our options open ( including a private school in Hampton as we don't rate our local secondary school).
I am very confused with the scores. We did not practice online so i am unsure about scoring mechanism
I am aware that CATS4 scores are out of 141 ( 4 topics). ISEB exams I believe are the same.
What about Tiffin and Sutton schools, what are the max scores per paper?. I hear that Wallington was "213.9 pass rate" this year, Sutton/WL 213, what is that out of ? Similarly what was the pass rate to 2nd round for Tiffin? I read last year's posts that talk about "106" getting a full place at the end of the process at Tiffin; is this the average of all papers?
Thank you and apologies if these are obvious questions... bright kid not sure about the Mum :-) !!
streathammum

Re: Stage 2 Tiffin / Sutton Schools

Post by streathammum »

Hi and welcome

I don't know the position at Tiffin but for SGS, Wallington and Wilsons you won't be told your son's score if he passes the test. The 'pass score' is a standardised score so it reflects a child's place in the cohort (top 10%, for example) rather than being a mark 'out of' a number.

If your son has passes for all three Sutton grammars it means that he would probably be offered a place at one of them on offer day if you put it top of your CAF. However, the schools pass more boys than they have places for and so every year a proportion (not sure of the exact numbers but maybe 10-20%) pass but don't get a place. You won't know whether you're one of those children until offer day on 1 March.
Sterou

Post by Sterou »

Thank you >> that makes sense. It is hard for my DS and I to grasp the bigger picture of the cohort overall results and the standardisation ect, we are used to being given a straight score /100 or % ( /141 for CATS) and that way you know exactly where you stand within the range. Some people have mentioned kids must get a least 80%/85% correct answers to get through.
Such a shame that we don't have any visibility. My DS learns so much more from reviewing his past mistakes!
Now we have such an excruciatingly wait... at least exams are over and that is really something to celebrate !
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

CATs are also a standardised score, so it's the same method.
scary mum