Passed Wallington only - Set Scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mummy in CJ

Re: Passed Wallington only - Set Scores

Post by Mummy in CJ »

My son also passed Wallington only but failed SGS and Wilson. His SGS score was 255. I’m also struggling to work out what his Wallington score is!

We have the results from his first exams (the ones WCG look at) of 85.16 and 82.66 which I am presuming is his percentage (?), in which case it looks like he did quite well with an average of 84%, but if I combine them together then this gives an overall score of 168, which doesn’t look like it will be good enough to pass! I guess it all depends on what this was marked out of.

Can parents who have children who have got into WCG in the past but didn’t pass SCG and so got their scores, shine some light on our chances?

It would also be great to hear if it is ever the case that someone passes WCG and gets offered a place there even if they didn’t pass the two other schools (ie if in reality it’s only the top scoring kids who also pass Wilson’s and SGS who get into WCG).

WCG was our first choice and we don’t know whether to get our hopes up or not!
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

Mummy in CJ wrote:My son also passed Wallington only but failed SGS and Wilson. His SGS score was 255. I’m also struggling to work out what his Wallington score is!

We have the results from his first exams (the ones WCG look at) of 85.16 and 82.66 which I am presuming is his percentage (?), in which case it looks like he did quite well with an average of 84%, but if I combine them together then this gives an overall score of 168, which doesn’t look like it will be good enough to pass! I guess it all depends on what this was marked out of.

Can parents who have children who have got into WCG in the past but didn’t pass SCG and so got their scores, shine some light on our chances?

It would also be great to hear if it is ever the case that someone passes WCG and gets offered a place there even if they didn’t pass the two other schools (ie if in reality it’s only the top scoring kids who also pass Wilson’s and SGS who get into WCG).

WCG was our first choice and we don’t know whether to get our hopes up or not!
Was that the SET score given by SGS after the second stage exam? If so, that isn’t the percentage; it’s how your son’s performance in the SET compared to all the other boys who sat the second stage, with 100 being the average for each exam. On the previous page, somebody said last year a boy with a score of 165 got an offer via the waiting list around April.
The reason it is so different from the WCGS pass mark is that one is produced in relation to all who took the first exam; the marks you’ve been given (if you’re talking about the ones I think you are) is when your son is compared to all the boys who passed. I hope that makes sense!
tootingmum01

Post by tootingmum01 »

Lost hope in these cutoff score after someone said with a cutoff of 165 someone got a place in previous years.My son had 182 and we had Wallington as first choice,Totally disappointed we have been offered our 5th choice a comprehensive school.Will Wallington provide waitlist ? Any idea on what waiting list for WC is like?Wanted to explore appeals route too but unsure what to do.My DS is so upset as was hoping for his first choice.Will take sometime to sink in.

Thanks
willpower

Post by willpower »

tootingmum01 wrote:Lost hope in these cutoff score after someone said with a cutoff of 165 someone got a place in previous years.My son had 182 and we had Wallington as first choice,Totally disappointed we have been offered our 5th choice a comprehensive school.Will Wallington provide waitlist ? Any idea on what waiting list for WC is like?Wanted to explore appeals route too but unsure what to do.My DS is so upset as was hoping for his first choice.Will take sometime to sink in.

Thanks
Thats really strange. Was 182 for the SET score only?
The only other thing is distance from the school. Do you live far from Wallington? When I spoke to the admissions office they said there was only 10 boys left on the waiting list when the new school year started. I really hope it works out for you.
Mummy in CJ

Post by Mummy in CJ »

We are in the same boat. I have corresponded with Wallington. They will tell you where on the list you are. If you are willing to wait until September and even to pull your child out of the school they’ve started at in Y7, then it sounds like most people who passed the exam may get offered a place at some point.

So if you really want a spot and don’t mind this roller coaster, you may well get what you want. Personally I think it will be difficult to tell our DS that he is going to another school, have bought the uniform, attended welcome days etc and then to go somewhere else.

We also have a private school offer with scholarship, and will be accepting that.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
tootingmum01

Post by tootingmum01 »

Hi,

@willpower Yes,the score was from Sutton school after not getting through stage 2 for SET that was standardized.They only offer 15 places for those inside catchment.I am only 45 mins away from school.Thats why confused if 182 set standardized score was not good enough for a place.How come 10 on waiting list?I thought they won't release this years wl until end of march?

@MummyinCJ We didn't go through the private route so its going to be a waiting game especially with lots of competition this year.Keeping our fingers crossed.Good luck to you and hope you get what you hoped for.

Anyone else willing to share if in similar situation as this?

Thanks
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

I think willpower was saying that for 2020 entry, there were only 10 boys left on the waiting list by September 2020, because the later it gets, the less likely people are to change plans/schools. So if you are willing to change last minute, chances of getting a place from the waiting list are good.
dh28

Post by dh28 »

You can make a SAR (Subject Access Request) to Sutton Grammar School who acts as Data Protection Officers for Wallington for releasing your son's marks and his position on the rank list prepared by Wallington School.

Once you have this rank, please see some recent FOI (Freedom of Information) requests which will provide a fairly accurate picture of which ranks got offered position in Wallington:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1712012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Should be sent to "GDPR Officer & Clerk to the Governors", "Registrar" and "Data" officers in Sutton Grammar School, contact details here: https://www.suttongrammar.sutton.sch.uk ... port-staff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To,
Data Protection Officer,
Sutton Grammar School

ABC
1, PQR Road, Sutton, SM2 1AB

Dear Dr Wrench,

I would like to make a "Subject access request" under the Data Protection Act for the following information for my son, who attended both SET stage 1 and Stage 2 tests this year (on 11 Nov 2020 and 28 Nov 2020 respectively)? As the National offer day is over, releasing this information would not be in breach of school admissions code.

Data request for XYZ:

SET stage 1 and stage 2 raw marks
Standardised marks for Stage 1 (which would be looked at by Wallington School for preparing their rank list)
Ranking on list prepared for Wallington School
Final standardised marks (including both Stage 1 and Stage 2 (i.e. the standardised score which weighs SET stage 1 and SET stage 2 scores in ratio of 2:2:3:3) )
Rank placement on the list prepared by SGS.

Details for my Son:
Name - Date of Birth
Candidate Number: 1234567

If you need any more information, kindly let me know as soon as possible.
More details about this request from ICO : https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/yo ... your-data/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,
ABC
willpower

Post by willpower »

tootingmum01 wrote:Hi,

@willpower Yes,the score was from Sutton school after not getting through stage 2 for SET that was standardized.They only offer 15 places for those inside catchment.I am only 45 mins away from school.Thats why confused if 182 set standardized score was not good enough for a place.How come 10 on waiting list?I thought they won't release this years wl until end of march?

@MummyinCJ We didn't go through the private route so its going to be a waiting game especially with lots of competition this year.Keeping our fingers crossed.Good luck to you and hope you get what you hoped for.

Anyone else willing to share if in similar situation as this?

Thanks
OK if 182 is the english and maths score of SET round 1 only then there is something wrong here. My son scored 178 and was offered a place yesterday. I hope this helps you and anyone else going forward.
Best to speak to the admissions office.
tootingmum01

Post by tootingmum01 »

hi,

Thanks for the replies .Looking at previous years ranks there is still a probability but have to wait and see wl movement.We are going to still accept what we got with a heavy heart :(

@willpower Congrats to you and your DS.Yes my son had scores of 88.97 and 93.12(total of 182.09) from SET.Are you IC or OOC and was this your first choice?Don't understand how this standardized scores correlate to offers.I will speak to admissions.Thanks
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now