What's harder: getting into Tiffin Girls or Nonsuch OOC?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
no_stress

Re: What's harder: getting into Tiffin Girls or Nonsuch OOC?

Post by no_stress »

that is very helpful, thank you for sharing your experience!
gv0019

Post by gv0019 »

Exactly our situation, my DD sat for TGS and NonSuch OOC, TGS was our first priority due to proximity, but my DD got Nonsuch OOC (second pref ) and we are now waiting if DD appears on the TGS wait list.
no_stress

Post by no_stress »

@gv0019 best of luck, let me know what happens with your TGS WL.
squareofthewicket

Post by squareofthewicket »

Oneoftwothings wrote:Only 29% of the top 85 places at Nonsuch went to OOC girls last year, so I would say it’s harder to get one of those places, if you live within the designated area for Tiffins but OOC for Nonsuch.
Is it possible that this is the case because the DDs from OOC put another school higher than NonSuch and got a place there. Without actually knowing these numbers it would be impossible to say which school is harder to get into. And even with those numbers unless there is a clear difference that is trend over several years, it could be down to how some of the DDs felt on the day of their entrance tests.

The one thing that does differentiate the 2 schools entrance is that TGS does not carry forward the Stage 1 scores, so all girls sitting Stage 2 have an equal chance whereas NonSuch gives weightage to the Stage 1 scores (how much I am not sure) but if you have scored highly in the Stage 1 multipe choice questions you are at an advantage, albeit a very very small one.
Stanton

Post by Stanton »

Regarding the original post, this was the assumption amongst most people I know but the opposite was true in some cases this year - girls who live OOC for Non Such were offered it despite being in catchment for TGS and putting TGS first on the list - so perhaps something different happened this year with the tests due to Covid? I'd heard stage 1 was different versus previous years? Best not to assume anything, sit both and put the one you like best as your first choice!
no_stress

Post by no_stress »

@gv0019 I see on the other Tiffin thread your daughter was offered a place? Congratulations, great news. My daughter will sit TGS exam in autumn 2021.