Passed Wallington & Sutton but not Wilson’s

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
elevenplusjourney

Passed Wallington & Sutton but not Wilson’s

Post by elevenplusjourney »

Hello everyone, I am new here. Just wondering if anyone can help me please.

My DS passed Wallington and Sutton but failed to make the cut at Wilson’s by 20 points (I know it’s a lot :lol: ). Sutton passed 836 whilst Wilson’s passed 639. My questions are:

1. Is it possible to determine/gauge my son’s ranking (approximate only) based on the above available information?
2. If yes, can you please advise his approximate ranking out of 836? Would he be likely to be in the top 500? Between 500-600 maybe? Or more within top 700-800)?

I know that Sutton and Wilson’s have different marking systems ie 2:2:3:3 and 1:1:4:4, respectively. I just really want to have a feel whether he will have the chance to get either in Wallington or Sutton based on the above information. By the way, we are OOC.

Thank you so much in advance. I will really appreciate any input you can give me.
Oneoftwothings

Re: Passed Wallington & Sutton but not Wilson’s

Post by Oneoftwothings »

I can’t help with working out your son’s ranking, but I do know boys who passed SGS but not Wilson’s and got an offer from SGS. The lowest ranking to get a SGS OOC offer in 2019 was 576.

ETA passing both SGS and WCGS makes an offer at one of the two very likely. I don’t have time to find it at the moment, but there is data in the public domain showing that boys haven’t had to be too far above Wally Boys’ pass mark to be offered a place in the past.
elevenplusjourney

Thanks a lot for your reply Oneoftwothings. Just trying to work out our chances. If all things are equal, I think his ranking will be beyond the 639th that Wilson’s has passed. But I am hopeful that with the different marking systems, it will make a difference and would give him a better ranking. I really hope I can work it out even just an approximation but sadly my Maths and analytical skills are not great :lol:
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

Maybe it would help if you could find somebody who didn’t pass either, so has been given both Wilson’s and SGS scores? It wouldn’t help hugely, because the raw scores of the SET plus two second stage exams would have been standardised, but it might give you a bit more insight into how the two scores can compare to each other.
elevenplusjourney

That’s a very good idea! Thank you so much for your time and help.

If anyone is happy to share their DS results, please send me a private message. Thank you so much in advance.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Remember that Wallington's mark is 100% SET, Sutton's is 40% SET and Wilsons' is only 20% SET. To pass for Wallington and Sutton but not Wilsons it may be that the SET was very good but the second stage test was weaker, so his Wilsons mark was pulled down but his marks for Sutton and Wallington will be better.

It's impossible to work out where your son ranked, and the fact that he didn't pass Wilsons is going to worry you, but there is still a very good chance that your son will be offered a place at one of the other schools.
elevenplusjourney

Thank you so much for your reply streathammum. I am really glad that I found this group. :) I know that I might not get the answer to my question due to lack of sufficient information but the fact that others like you took time to reply makes me truly grateful.

All the best to everyone!
hopoe

Post by hopoe »

3 years ago DS passed Wallington and Sutton but not Wilson’s. He was allocated our local comprehensive on offers day, but got an offer at Sutton GS via the waiting list. We didn’t put Wellington on the form as it would have been too difficult a commute. So don’t give up hope! NB He started off at no 24 on the waiting list and the offer came in on the second day of term.
elevenplusjourney

Thank you so much for your reply. This gives me hope. :)

By the way, if you don’t mind, may I ask which area do you live? I believe Sutton has a catchment area criterion.

Many thanks again.
hopoe

Post by hopoe »

Sorry only just logged back in. We are out of area, in Merton but live close to the Wandsworth end.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now