Nonsuch vs Rosebery

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Elekim

Nonsuch vs Rosebery

Post by Elekim »

Just wondering if anyone has done this comparison. We live 5 mins walk from Rosebery, and by all accounts it’s a great school. Nonsuch would involve a 35 min commute by bus, which would be fine also (if worth it).

Is Nonsuch much better than Rosebery?
- obviously yes in terms of academic results, bearing in mind the selection at entry
- progress 8 scores are comparable
- both are single sex (which is good in our books)
- what about resources, teaching quality, co-curricular activities…?
- general philosophical question: is it better to be a big fish in a small pond or small fish in a big pond?
- assuming a child is bright enough for grammar, what are the pros and cons of going to Rosebery vs Nonsuch?

I’ve been through the websites extensively, and watched the virtual open days. Will attend the real life open days when available. I would still gratefully appreciate any personal opinions/experiences. Many thanks.
Drob13

Re: Nonsuch vs Rosebery

Post by Drob13 »

I don’t know the answer to this as we are in the same position. Both schools at the same distance to us. All your points are very valid. Currently, my daughter prefers Rosebery as most of her friends will be going there. Also, somehow don’t feel she’ll fit as well at Nonsuch. Saying that we chose Sutton grammar over Glyn for my son, and I feel this was the right choice for him! Jury is out! Will be watching this post with interest. :-)
Golden75

Post by Golden75 »

We lived within the Rosebery catchment when applying for secondary for DD1 and DD1 goes to Nonsuch. We felt that Nonsuch was the right fit for her as she is very academic. She knew a group of girls from her primary who were going to Rosebery who she was keen to get away from. Being academic was not seen as cool and one girl in particular was a bit of a bully towards my DD- I know that there are bullies in every school, the grammars aren't exempt, but my DD wanted a fresh start away from some of the Rosebery girls that she knew.
At Nonsuch my DD has found her tribe and is very happy there, so definitely the right choice for us.

But this is a very personal story, other girls may feel that they fit in better at Rosebery despite being very academic. We got a very strong gut feel that Nonsuch was the right school after we attended the open day.

It's great to have Rosebery to fall back on if your DD doesn't get into Nonsuch, takes away some of the pressure if you decide to go down the Nonsuch route!
Good luck!
Elekim

Post by Elekim »

Drob13 wrote:I don’t know the answer to this as we are in the same position. Both schools at the same distance to us. All your points are very valid. Currently, my daughter prefers Rosebery as most of her friends will be going there. Also, somehow don’t feel she’ll fit as well at Nonsuch. Saying that we chose Sutton grammar over Glyn for my son, and I feel this was the right choice for him! Jury is out! Will be watching this post with interest. :-)
Please may I ask, what made you feel Sutton Grammar was the best fit for your son, and why don’t you feel your daughter will fit in at Nonsuch?
Golden75 wrote:We lived within the Rosebery catchment when applying for secondary for DD1 and DD1 goes to Nonsuch. We felt that Nonsuch was the right fit for her as she is very academic. She knew a group of girls from her primary who were going to Rosebery who she was keen to get away from. Being academic was not seen as cool and one girl in particular was a bit of a bully towards my DD- I know that there are bullies in every school, the grammars aren't exempt, but my DD wanted a fresh start away from some of the Rosebery girls that she knew.
At Nonsuch my DD has found her tribe and is very happy there, so definitely the right choice for us.

But this is a very personal story, other girls may feel that they fit in better at Rosebery despite being very academic. We got a very strong gut feel that Nonsuch was the right school after we attended the open day.

It's great to have Rosebery to fall back on if your DD doesn't get into Nonsuch, takes away some of the pressure if you decide to go down the Nonsuch route!
Good luck!
Thank you, and I’m glad your DD is happy at school! Sorry she had to deal with bullies at primary. My main concern is exactly what you describe - that in a non selective school being academic would be seen as “uncool”. Both my DDs are bookish. My own experience of going to a good independent school is that it was cool to be top in class and good at music, and I’d like my DDs to grow up in the same nurturing environment. (But, like you say, there are bullies in every school…)
Golden75

Post by Golden75 »

One thing to bear in mind is that girls attending Nonsuch are from all over the area, some live far from the school, this means that none of my DDs closest friends live locally to us. Girls at Rosebery will all be from a very small area close to the school, so better chance to meet with friends. In my DDs year there were no other girls traveling from Epsom, I think Rosebery/Glyn are very much the popular choices in the area (as well as independents) and the Sutton grammars are not considered by many.

Even though my DD would love to have her friends living closer, she has become a very independent and confident user of public transport and travels to meet her friends all over south-London.
Elekim

Post by Elekim »

Golden75 wrote:One thing to bear in mind is that girls attending Nonsuch are from all over the area, some live far from the school, this means that none of my DDs closest friends live locally to us. Girls at Rosebery will all be from a very small area close to the school, so better chance to meet with friends. In my DDs year there were no other girls traveling from Epsom, I think Rosebery/Glyn are very much the popular choices in the area (as well as independents) and the Sutton grammars are not considered by many.

Even though my DD would love to have her friends living closer, she has become a very independent and confident user of public transport and travels to meet her friends all over south-London.
That’s interesting! I get that Nonsuch girls come from a wider area, but do many of them live in Cheam/Sutton? We’re thinking of moving to Cheam if she gets in (which would also work for my job) - would there be many local friends if we do that?
Golden75

Post by Golden75 »

Many girls come from the Sutton-Cheam-Morden-Worcester Park area, but many travel from further afield. There is a very good chance that your DD will have some local friends in Cheam, but it's impossible to say as you can't predict who she ends up making friends with :D.
Elekim

Post by Elekim »

Thanks, that’s really helpful!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now