Commute from Orpington to Wilsons school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
vinc

Commute from Orpington to Wilsons school

Post by vinc »

Hello to all,
Request an advice on commute from Orpington to Wilsons school.
My son loved the school when visited in June, so he's very keen to sit the test next Tuesday. I'm bit unsure because of the transportation and the journey time...
Do you know of any existing travel arrangements (dedicated coach, car pools) are known?
Do you think it's feasible at all?
I will be grateful for any advice.
PettswoodFiona

Re: Commute from Orpington to Wilsons school

Post by PettswoodFiona »

There are other grammars and other good state schools closer than highly competitive Wilsons. I am not aware of any easy route or practical route that wouldn’t involve a very long day. Most obvious is the train into London and then London to Waddon but there is a 15 min walk on top of they already long journey AMA it depends how far you are from Orpington too. Someone may come along to correct me or refer to a coach service but I don’t remember seeing one mentioned on this forum before. A coach in the traffic between Orpington and the a school would take ages I’d imagine.

I only took DD to visit grammars she could get to easily herself so we didn’t even visit ones that would cause this dilemma.

Please also refer to the guidance on this forum to car sharing https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... =9&t=56409" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vinc

Post by vinc »

I can see that Lewis Coaches have a new proposed route from Orpington to Wilsons, but I don't know if they go ahead with that.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

It’s just not a realistic option and unless you are prepared to move I wouldn’t sit the exam.
Wilson’s is a truly amazing school.
The head and SLT are fantastic.
It’s pastorally strong and academically outstanding.
Lateness in the mornings ( and to lessons ) is sanctioned.
Very different to my DDs grammar where no one cared a jot about lateness.
As a result my son is never late for anything!
There is masses going on after school.
CCF in year 9 means a late night at least once if not twice a week.
Most music is after school.
At one point my son did after school football four nights a week.
Add to that the homework and a commute from your neck of the woods just wouldn’t work.
Lots come from Clapham because from Waddon it’s a doddle.
No one from Orpington as far as I’m aware.
One in my sons year from Catford left due to the journey.
doodles

Post by doodles »

vinc wrote:Hello to all,
Request an advice on commute from Orpington to Wilsons school.
My son loved the school when visited in June, so he's very keen to sit the test next Tuesday. I'm bit unsure because of the transportation and the journey time...
Do you know of any existing travel arrangements (dedicated coach, car pools) are known?
Do you think it's feasible at all?
I will be grateful for any advice.
It's a long journey and what might seem feasible on a sunny summer afternoon in the school holidays when the traffic is light will be a whole different experience on a wet November evening in rush hour. You not only need think about the journey but also where his friendships groups will be, are you prepared to spend a lot of time driving backwards and forwards to get him to social events; will the distance/lack of direct public transport stop him fully joining in with what makes the school community to appealing?

If you really are interested in the school then call the school office and ask them about the car pools or coach options.

Good luck
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

No car pools or coaches.
The head advises all should be able to travel on public transport in under an hour.
It’s super selective so no catchment.
Pupils do come from long distances but it’s no fun for them.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now