New format English SET

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rpl

New format English SET

Post by rpl »

Hi, can anyone please advise on good sample tests for new format English for SET Stage 1? DS doesn't go to tuition and so far relied on Bond and CGP books. However I can't find anything on Amazon with the new format. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
gg234

Re: New format English SET

Post by gg234 »

Just sent a PM with the details hopefully this will help.
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

I got some from exam papers plus but I don’t think they have it right, personally. The actual English SET typically has around 65 questions, with a lot of those quick ones most DC can do with very little thinking time (e.g. spelling, grammar, synonyms). The paper I got has 80 questions, 72 of them comprehension questions, which obviously take longer, plus there’s the texts to read. I know the publishers are doing what they can with the information they have, but I don’t think the SET will be as time-pressured as this and I also hope this doesn’t send DC doing these at this late stage and getting lower marks into a panic!
chri1143

Post by chri1143 »

Oneoftwothings wrote:I got some from exam papers plus but I don’t think they have it right, personally. The actual English SET typically has around 65 questions, with a lot of those quick ones most DC can do with very little thinking time (e.g. spelling, grammar, synonyms). The paper I got has 80 questions, 72 of them comprehension questions, which obviously take longer, plus there’s the texts to read. I know the publishers are doing what they can with the information they have, but I don’t think the SET will be as time-pressured as this and I also hope this doesn’t send DC doing these at this late stage and getting lower marks into a panic!
If only I had seen this before I purchased 4 of their papers. DS did one and couldn't complete it in time. He has been doing well in recent mocks and he hated the mock after leaving so many blank answers.

Also, no explanations/workings were given in their answers.
Last edited by chri1143 on Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
babs

Post by babs »

I tried doing the new format SET and could not even complete it in time, it is ridiculous given the time restraints and the questions require you to go back and forth between 2 texts. They have also over complicated the questions.

Can I ask if anyone who has purchased the new papers which include Section D to let me know if they are worth it or not?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Oneoftwothings wrote:I got some from exam papers plus but I don’t think they have it right, personally. The actual English SET typically has around 65 questions, with a lot of those quick ones most DC can do with very little thinking time (e.g. spelling, grammar, synonyms). The paper I got has 80 questions, 72 of them comprehension questions, which obviously take longer, plus there’s the texts to read. I know the publishers are doing what they can with the information they have, but I don’t think the SET will be as time-pressured as this and I also hope this doesn’t send DC doing these at this late stage and getting lower marks into a panic!
This is one of the resons we don't usually allow people to recomment practice materials that we aren't familiar with, or aren't well established as we wouldn't want to be seen to be endorsing sub-standard or inappropriate resources.
Please see the forum rules, in particular:
7. Any post, or private message, deemed to be promoting a product or service, whether related to the 11+ or not, whether explicit or implicit
Note 7 (iv) To maintain the highest quality of information on the Forum, the promotion of 11+ preparation materials that are not available on this site are not permitted.
Note 7 (v) As an exception, announcements relating to practice 11+ tests ("mocks") are usually permitted if organised by a school or PTA or charity - but must not become repetitive.
We also allow occasional mention of this site's mock tests because ElevenPlusExams uses them to provide extra support for disadvantaged children, and also makes significant contributions to charity.

Please also be aware that someone mentioning useful resources (for example a self published book on Amazon), is likely to be a relative of that person promoting their book. Yes, it has happened :roll:
scary mum
peroni

Post by peroni »

babs wrote:I tried doing the new format SET and could not even complete it in time, it is ridiculous given the time restraints and the questions require you to go back and forth between 2 texts. They have also over complicated the questions.

Can I ask if anyone who has purchased the new papers which include Section D to let me know if they are worth it or not?
You won't find any negative comment from their website.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now