Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Greenshaw
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:34 am 

Wondering if anyone has managed to ever find out their score through a data request. My son passed for Greenshaw only and a little disappointed we do not know how far off he was. Has anyone in this situation managed to find out? Worth it or shouldn’t bother? Also the email mentions that we can still list the schools we didn’t pass for if we appeal. Has anyone appealed? Is there any chance of making wcgs waiting list if my son missed out by a couple marks? Advice appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Greenshaw
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:51 pm 

I’m not sure whether they’ll tell you the mark in those circumstances. If you pass for all schools, they won’t tell you until the admissions process is all over.

I saw the standardised data for the SET for my DS’s year. There were around 50 boys within one standardised mark below the cutoff score. And not all the boys above the cutoff will get a place.

I’m sorry you didn’t get better news.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:21 pm 

Thank you. They should ideally take Greenshaw off the list as it is neither here nor there. Pointless addition to be honest and absolutely no benefit to my son. It also makes no sense that Wallington and Wilsons/Sutton are so close in pass marks, one with one stage and the others with two. My son actually performs much better in second stage exams so such a shame that those that are selected for Greenshaw are not able to attempt the remaining 70-80% of the marks.

I think it’s fair to say that as parents we have to be realistic of the result but as a consortium the whole thing is very odd. Some will have passed Wilsons/Sutton but not be eligible for Wallington all while having to do a second round exam? Congratulations to all that got through, it’s not one of the most competitive exams for nothing. Wishing everyone well.

Last edited by drtnka on Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:36 pm 

I'm sure I read - perhaps on here? - that offers for WCGS have not gone below the SET cut-off mark in recent years, and in fact have tended to stay above it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:07 pm 

Thanks yes that does ring a bell too. Good to know where we stand. Thanks so much for advising.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:27 pm 

I thought if a candidate was eligible for second stage
they would be Eligible for Wally boys.
Back in the day when my son did it all three schools had
separate tests.
Sutton was two stage with the second stage after the CAF deadline.
Wally boys and Wilson’s had separate one stage.
If I’m honest it was a bit of a slog but the upside was more chances.
I hope your son doesn’t feel the work was for nothing and that he gained some useful skills.
My son has friends who didn’t pass any of the three Sutton Grammars but are
now at Oxbridge.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:09 pm 

The cut-off for Wallington is (usually only very) slightly higher than that for SGS and Wilsons as it is one stage only - so there will be boys who reach the required mark for SGS and Wilsons but not for WCGS. One enters a world which can be hugely frustrating when taking part in this process!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:05 pm 

The marks needed to meet the selective standard were as follows:-

Greenshaw High School: 198
Wallington County Grammar School: 217

The marks needed to qualify for second stage testing were as follows:-

Sutton Grammar School: 215
Wilson's School: 215

So boys that passed for Wilson/Sutton second round may have just missed Wallington. It would be good if they swapped Greenshaw for a school that was in demand academically. Sorry if that offends anyone at Greenshaw but there are other schools doing much better academically so not sure why they are part of the consortium. There is no benefit to anyone other than extra option out of catchment.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:55 pm 

drtnka wrote:
. It would be good if they swapped Greenshaw for a school that was in demand academically. Sorry if that offends anyone at Greenshaw but there are other schools doing much better academically so not sure why they are part of the consortium. There is no benefit to anyone other than extra option out of catchment.
It does not offend me but I do not understanding your reasoning. Lots of people will not have the option of any high performing school. Unless things have changed dramatically Greenshaw's selective intake does well - so why would it not be a good option?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:44 pm 

I don’t think it would be worth our while to travel so far to a school that is academically no different to others closer just because our child met it’s selective criteria. This is my point that it is only really another option for those that live reasonably close. For those that meet it’s ‘criteria’ but live a fare distance away it offers nothing exciting. For this reason I do not understand why it is included as part of Sutton SET. I’m guessing it is for the benefit of more local children to have an extra option if they pass the exam? And if so that is fair enough.

Just as people are willing to travel from afar for the grammars they should offer a school place that others would equally be willing to travel a little further for. Just IMO.