SGS/Wilson 2nd Stage pass mark in subjects

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Karn

SGS/Wilson 2nd Stage pass mark in subjects

Post by Karn »

Hi everyone,

as far as I get it - both Wilson and SGS has certain pass mark in each of the subjects you should achieve to be considered for a place. They both promise to inform you if your DS passed the mark before CAF deadline...
so:
a) Is anyone aware if this pass mark is a real deal or more like a formal thing? (in other words, how strict is the threshold?)
b) does anyone have a sense of timeline to expect to get this information?
scary mum

Re: SGS/Wilson 2nd Stage pass mark in subjects

Post by scary mum »

a) Is anyone aware if this pass mark is a real deal or more like a formal thing? (in other words, how strict is the threshold?)
I'm not sure what you mean here? The school sets the pass mark after the exam. I imagine it is a single figure, bot a range.
b) does anyone have a sense of timeline to expect to get this information?
Someone local may be able to help you with this (I presume it doesn't say on the school or local authority website?). If you look back through the posts from October 2 years ago you may get an idea (last year was different because of the delayed exams).
scary mum
2020D2022S

Post by 2020D2022S »

Also bear in mind that neither school will tell you the final score for eligible candidates. Only the ineligible candidates get sent their final score.
“Sometimes I remain silent. Sometimes I don't. I don't know which I enjoy more”.(lifted)
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

Yes, there is a threshold but it is quite low.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1797136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There was someone on another forum last year whose son had got a high enough ‘pass mark’ overall but had not reached the minimum required standard for English.

My DS sat it in 2019; the exam was on Oct. 5 and we received results on Oct. 17th. Wilson’s half term begins on Oct. 15th, so I expect they will try to get them out by then.
SJ307

Post by SJ307 »

My son got SGS stage 2 results yesterday and it says "he has met the required standard". I know it doesn't gurantee him a place at SGS. My question is what chance he has in getting a place at SGS, given that we don't live in the specified postcodes close to the school.

We know his overall score as we received this from Wilson, because he didn't meet the required standard for Wilson. Eventhough his total is higher than the required score for Wilson, his english score is below the relevant threshold; hence he isn't eligible to apply for a place at Wilson.

Considering the fact that he has achieved high total score (from Wilson results), can anyone give me some hint on his changes at SGS from the selection in previous years.
By the way, SGS oversubscription criteria is:
After the admission of boys with an EHCP who meet the admissions standard the following criteria will apply, in
the order set out below, to determine the rank order of boys eligible for offers of places at the School:
1. Boys who are deemed to be ‘looked after’ or formerly looked after by a local authority. Supporting
evidence of the status will be required.
2. 75 places by rank order of the combined scores in the SET and Sutton Grammar School’s second stage
tests where the home address of the boy is in one of the specified postcodes (SM1-7, KT4, KT17, CR0 4-
-, CR4)
3. Up to 60 places (plus any remaining places from criterion 2 if the number of qualified boys in criterion 2
is less than the 75 on offer) by rank order of the combined scores in the SET and Sutton Grammar
School’s second stage tests, where the home address of the boy may be in any postcode.
4. Proximity of the boy's home address from the School (where scores are equal).
nelwood

Post by nelwood »

Sutton don’t calculate the score in the same way as Wilson’s you need to check admissions criteria they ratio the scores differently
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now