HBS v/s Nonsuch/Wallington Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Moon unit

Re: HBS v/s Nonsuch/Wallington Girls

Post by Moon unit »

We chose Wally girls over Nonsuch.
My daughter really didn’t warm to Nonsuch.
Moved on for sixth form from Wallington to go co-ed.
The change just felt right.
A girl moved in my DDs year from Nonsuch to Wallington due to bullying.
My daughter had friends at Nonsuch coached in every subject.
Very little of that at Wallington.
We also know lots of girls who have been happy at Nonsuch.
I think Wallington has a reputation for better pastoral care.
Music better at Nonsuch I believe.
tan3

Post by tan3 »

Thank you @streathammum, @RuedeWakening and @Moon unit for lots of pointers.

Read somewhere that Nonsuch give importance to core subjects to boost representation of women in STEM field (so more academically oriented) and heard that their policies are "stricter" than Wally Girls, whereas the latter encourages more extra-curricular/sports activities. Is this true?
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

It would be hard to know this for sure unless you have a child at each school - there aren't many who do. I know a friend whose daughter is at Nonsuch and has been playing school netball for five years. My advice would be to try to find out whether the particular thing you're interested in happens at the schools - eg do they participate in school netball/hockey/football tournaments, what bands do they run, what instruments does the school have to offer or do you need to provide your own, do they put on a drama show - be specific about the question and you're more likely to get a helpful reply.

Incidentally, I would in NO WAY believe that Wally Girls is in some way not "academically orientated". I don't know whether either of the schools has a particular focus on STEM, but would add a heartfelt comment that non-STEM subjects like English, humanities and languages are also academic.
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

Have you looked at the online prospectus for each school?

People are of course right when they say don’t base a school choice on GCSE options, as these can change, but I find options come round incredibly quickly, and it could help give an indication of a school’s focus/strengths. So for example, I believe Nonsuch offers Astronomy and Greek, while Wallington doesn’t but does offer Media Studies, Psychology and Dance. In fact, looking at GCSE results, sciences are broadly the same and its humanities Nonsuch do better in.

There is so little in it in the academics, so if none of the small differences ‘call’ to your daughter, I would be looking at where you want to live as a family, commutes, etc if it were me.

Good luck.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now