Sutton Grammar vs Wilsons

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sandy09

Re: Sutton Grammar vs Wilsons

Post by sandy09 »

tfp_sa wrote:
jazbaati99 wrote:I am not sure that I understand the query properly. Speaking from my experience of north London grammar school where 99% population is from south asia, the culture of the school is firmly British. The spoken language is enlgish in the school and so far I have not seen any two boys speaking in a native language with each other (not that anything is wrong with speaking a local language). Without going into what exactly is a British culture, the only accommodation is in the areas of dietary & religious requirements (vegetarian, vegan etc.) and a space for Friday prayers and religious holidays. The primary school where my second child goes is even more diverse but once within the school gates, the culture is purely British.

Most of these children are second and third generation (if not more) immigrants and have similar morals and values compared with their peers. Why do you think a specific minority (non-white) will give you a pause for thought if I may ask? do you have any specific concerns?
I think that’s a really fair question and a good challenge. For context my son’s state primary class in SW London has something like ten White British kids, ten Black British kids, and then ten mixed and ‘other’ including Asian, and I couldn’t be happier with the balance. The culture there is unmistakably [urban, multi-ethnic] British.

So what is it that pops into my head about a class that’s hypothetically majority ‘Asian’ [which I suppose might in practice mean majority third plus generation ‘Indian’]?

Trying to be honest, these are some of the half-formed thoughts that I had swirling round my head when I asked the question, some or probably all of them outdated and unfair stereotypes that boil down to basically fear of the unknown. Most of them aren’t even particularly important to me as a parent one way or another. I suppose they all boil down to a worry that the culture might be a little, I suppose, illiberal one way or another, e.g.:

Maybe disproportionately 'conservative' rather than 'liberal' socio-economic viewpoints?

Maybe disproportionately few kids with ‘arty’ aspirations, maybe disproportionately many who aspire to be doctors etc?

Maybe atypical attitudes towards what I’d consider to be normal teenage subcultures in terms of the music they listen to, etc?

Maybe atypical attitudes towards what I’d consider to be, at an appropriate age, normal teenage small-scale usage of alcohol & so on?

Maybe atypical attitudes towards what I’d consider to be normal teenage ‘dating’ ?

Maybe [I’d hope not] atypical attitudes towards LBGT issues etc?

Maybe [say] cricket disproportionately popular, etc?

Any school population with a disproportionate dominance of one ethnic minority would have challenges but they should be considered as one of the pay-offs for an excellent education with minimal class disruption from pupils and high level of expectations from teachers, things that are outside parents control. The parents can enrich the pupils' lives to mitigate the challenges if they so wish (for example signing up to other extracurricular activities where there is less dominance of similar ethnic groups).
Upset Dad

Post by Upset Dad »

tfp_sa wrote:Maybe disproportionately 'conservative' rather than 'liberal' socio-economic viewpoints?

Maybe disproportionately few kids with ‘arty’ aspirations, maybe disproportionately many who aspire to be doctors etc?

Maybe atypical attitudes towards what I’d consider to be normal teenage subcultures in terms of the music they listen to, etc?

Maybe atypical attitudes towards what I’d consider to be, at an appropriate age, normal teenage small-scale usage of alcohol & so on?

Maybe atypical attitudes towards what I’d consider to be normal teenage ‘dating’ ?

Maybe [I’d hope not] atypical attitudes towards LBGT issues etc?

Maybe [say] cricket disproportionately popular, etc?

Whilst this is obviously a sensitive topic, just wanted to commend you for the care & thoughtfulness with which you have set out this list. As someone from the specific minor ethnicity you refer to, I can see where you are coming from. A diverse setting would certainly be ideal - but from my experience, many workplaces can often also not be as diverse. Also, I don't think the experience a child gains in such an environment is lost on them. Quite an asset I would think, if in the future your child takes up an expat or embassy role abroad!
Samurai

Post by Samurai »

This list looks at least 20- 30+ years outdated :D

For the uninitiated - Asia is huge and Asian culture is not 1 single culture - trying to understand it through a singular lens is like focussing on one colour of a rainbow. One will be shockingly surprised if you research on stats of Teenage Consumption of alchol, dating , following of sports ( you are not aware of the football, tennis, F1 fan following in that part of world ) and definitely music ( extremely mistaken in this area ). Clearly no research has been done on diversity in LGBT communities and what can I say if you see doctors in UK cabinet :) so no not everyone is a doctor but given that medicine is usually lapped up by the top lot so you will find many brilliant students ending up there. As far as dominance of certain ethnic group in academics is concerned - it will be a common sight till Uni and beyond across the globe and not just UK.
tfp_sa

Post by tfp_sa »

Thanks for the replies.

All in all re: the Sutton Grammars - the commute [for us 45 minutes on a good day] and single sex aspects are bigger deals to me, but I suppose a possible lack of diversity is relevant too. I won't lie - a post such as jazbaati99's didn't really sell the idea to me.

I'm inclined to give them a miss, but we'll see. One more place for everyone else if I do, I suppose.

Thanks again.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now