Wilson Missed by 1 mark, any appeal chance

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
letsjam

Wilson Missed by 1 mark, any appeal chance

Post by letsjam »

My son missed Wilson school by 1 mark in English(The other two thresholds he has cleared). I believe in creative writing 1 mark is very subjective. Creative writing can be interpreted in different ways so as marks allocation.

My question is do I have any chance to request remark the English stage 2 paper? if yes how
tfp_sa

Re: Wilson Missed by 1 mark, any appeal chance

Post by tfp_sa »

This is pure speculation on my part, but if that 'missing' 1 mark were to be awarded retrospectively, wouldn't the candidate anyway be at the bottom of the pile for Wilson's applications [rather than not in the pile at all] and therefore be vv unlikely to get a place in the end?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

letsjam wrote:My son missed Wilson school by 1 mark in English(The other two thresholds he has cleared). I believe in creative writing 1 mark is very subjective. Creative writing can be interpreted in different ways so as marks allocation.

My question is do I have any chance to request remark the English stage 2 paper? if yes how
Welcome to the forum - as you can see from https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the response to requests for remarks varies around the country, TBH they rarely make much difference but the only way would find out of they will do it is to ask the LEA
letsjam

Post by letsjam »

tfp_sa wrote:This is pure speculation on my part, but if that 'missing' 1 mark were to be awarded retrospectively, wouldn't the candidate anyway be at the bottom of the pile for Wilson's applications [rather than not in the pile at all] and therefore be vv unlikely to get a place in the end?
Well if he had this 1 mark he would have been eligible .. As his other two parameters he scored very well i.e well above the threshold mark. So it is possible that he might not be at the bottom of pile. It's not nessesary that he will be at bottom just bcos this English is just pass mark.
letsjam

Post by letsjam »

hermanmunster wrote:
letsjam wrote:My son missed Wilson school by 1 mark in English(The other two thresholds he has cleared). I believe in creative writing 1 mark is very subjective. Creative writing can be interpreted in different ways so as marks allocation.

Welcome to the forum - as you can see from https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b55" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; the response to requests for remarks varies around the country, TBH they rarely make much difference but the only way would find out of they will do it is to ask the LEA
Thanks... What is LEA?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

letsjam wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:

Thanks... What is LEA?
Local Education Authority who handle the applications
Oneoftwothings

Post by Oneoftwothings »

I don’t know about the remarking process but I would think it’s only worth doing if the score is quite a bit higher than the eligibility pass mark. For example, even though the pass mark is 475(?) the last boy to get a place by Sept. 2020 from the waitlist had 507 (and there will be a few with this mark). I’m guessing you were given his overall score?
Dad22&25

Post by Dad22&25 »

tfp_sa wrote:This is pure speculation on my part, but if that 'missing' 1 mark were to be awarded retrospectively, wouldn't the candidate anyway be at the bottom of the pile for Wilson's applications [rather than not in the pile at all] and therefore be vv unlikely to get a place in the end?
This is what I thought initially, but if the child had already scored well above the cut off, and only missed the threshold in writing by one mark, it may be worth appealing and getting that one mark. It's so difficult to judge, but I think there are scores available on whatdotheyknow with the minimum score that got admitted to Wilsons - I think this was about 490-500 for the past 3 years, so if with the 1 additional mark for DS they get in that range, then it is worth the trouble IMO.
Samurai

Post by Samurai »

As far as I am aware if there is no remarking then no one will give that 1 mark. Appeal after allocation means places have been given. Appeal being successful implies winning an extra space outside PAN and not added to WL. Knowledgable folks can comment.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now