Caf form - nonsuch / tiffin

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Suttonmum3

Caf form - nonsuch / tiffin

Post by Suttonmum3 »

Hello. I'm hoping someone can help answer this question about ranking on the form.

My daughter has passed the nonsuch tests and probably scored high enough for a place, which is great. She has also passed stage 1 tiffin and has stage 2 upcoming.

If we put nonsuch first on the form then it's likely we will never know if she could have gone to tiffin. But if we put tiffin first, and she gets an offer, is it still possible to turn this down for nonsuch? Or would we risk losing the nonsuch place?

Hard to know how to rank them when we've never visited either!

Many thanks
hermanmunster

Re: Caf form - nonsuch / tiffin

Post by hermanmunster »

Suttonmum3 wrote:Hello. I'm hoping someone can help answer this question about ranking on the form.

My daughter has passed the nonsuch tests and probably scored high enough for a place, which is great. She has also passed stage 1 tiffin and has stage 2 upcoming.

If we put nonsuch first on the form then it's likely we will never know if she could have gone to tiffin. But if we put tiffin first, and she gets an offer, is it still possible to turn this down for nonsuch? Or would we risk losing the nonsuch place?

Many thanks
you would only be offered one place and if it that is your first school and you had been eligible also for your second place school then your place in the second and lower schools would no longer exist.

You can in some LEA opt to go on the waiting list for a school lower down your list but there is no guarantee that you would be offered a place (always accept the offered school though, you don't want to be left without a place) - you need to speak to the LEA to see what their policy is on applying to be on the WL of lower schools
Samurai

Post by Samurai »

CAF should be done for real preference. Trying to know the score might also mean getting through it and living with the allotted school. Journey time, local friend circle are also important than awareness of score. Clearing itself is evidence of selective ability. Scores on days can vary so ranking schools should be based on holistic parameters and all schools are more or less same. Rank them based on what works best for your DC well being - major factor is daily commute
liond9514

Post by liond9514 »

Suttonmum3 wrote:Hello. I'm hoping someone can help answer this question about ranking on the form.

Many thanks
what is the score for sutton, did you DD get ?
ash812022

Post by ash812022 »

Is it mandatory to change primary school if you have moved your house to be in Tiffin catchment but with no major difference in commuting to the existing primary school. Any pointers are highly appreciated. TA!
Meredusoleil

Post by Meredusoleil »

I don't see any need to change primary school from my understanding. Especially if the distance makes no difference.
Meredusoleil

Post by Meredusoleil »

Just to clarify further, it is the postcode of the child's residence that matters for the application ie your address. Not the child's primary school.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Meredusoleil wrote:Just to clarify further, it is the postcode of the child's residence that matters for the application ie your address. Not the child's primary school.
each situation would be considered on the facts - if it is genuinely a short distance move and the commute back to the old school is much the same then there probably wouldn't be a problem.

The problem is when children are apparently doing enormous commutes back from a new address to the old school - the question then arises as to whether the family have really moved to the new place or whether it is is a convenient bedsit rented to just get an address. That is why LEAs want to see that all attachment to the previous residence is severed and also some want to see fuel bills at the new residence big enough to account for a family living there.

We have heard of people apparently separating and some children living at the new property being taken back a vast distance to the old school - from the kids point of view the journey is really quite short as in fact they are still living round the corner.

People do desperate things to get the school they want sometimes but in fact it just takes a place from another child.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now