ALLOCATIONS SUTTON,WALLINGTON (B), WILSONS 1.3.2022

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mumQS

Re: ALLOCATIONS SUTTON,WALLINGTON (B), WILSONS 1.3.2022

Post by mumQS »

I'd like to know how Wilsons and Sutton Grammar School are different and if one is better, which one and why? As SGS doesn't have it's own playing field, does it affect children's sports activities?

And how is Tiffin boys compared to Sutton schools?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Which school were you offered & was it your first preference?
scary mum
mumQS

Post by mumQS »

My son was offered SGS and it was his 2nd choice. Wilsons was 1st.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mumQS wrote:I'd like to know how Wilsons and Sutton Grammar School are different and if one is better, which one and why? As SGS doesn't have it's own playing field, does it affect children's sports activities?

And how is Tiffin boys compared to Sutton schools?
mumQS wrote:My son was offered SGS and it was his 2nd choice. Wilsons was 1st.
As a totally disinterested observer, forgive me for finding your question a little odd; surely you must have compared the schools, particularly the aspects which were most important to you and your DS, before deciding to name them as first and second preferences on your CAF? If you were concerned about the effect of the arrangements for sports at Sutton Grammar, why put it so high up?

If it helps, though, SGS Sports Dept has its own website - nice post from a few days ago:

Eleven football fixtures this weekend. Nine wins, one draw and one defeat.

It's not all about the winning but it is nicer.

And one from last October:

We hosted about 1000 primary and secondary students from Sutton schools, in the Borough Cross Country today. SGS won the overall Boys competition and our Senior Girls came second in their event. It is all about taking part (always nice to be on the podium though!).

https://sites.google.com/suttongrammar.london/sgspe

So not doing too badly without onsite playing fields?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Is your son happy with the idea of SGS ?

If he is then I should concentrate on that and look forward to the start of the new school year - I presume you are on the waiting list for Wilson's? you can stay on there and see what happens though we usually suggest that you don't make a big thing of it with the child as they can be disappointed if it doesn't work out. I think they are both very good schools - suspect some people choose one over the other as transport is easier etc
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I have to say that SGS sounds like a very nice school, at least from looking at the sports site and the tone / content of the school newsletters :).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mumQS

Post by mumQS »

Thanks for your feedback all.

Yes, my son is happy with SGS. I understand it's a great achievement. He is on Wilson's waiting list but we are not being very hopeful about it.

We are OOC and will have to move closer to school :-). As we haven't visited the open days last year, we haven't seen these schools closely and was looking for some first hand experience. It helps to put my mind at peace listening to all reassurances.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

My son is at SGS. They have one afternoon a week doing games at the sports ground in Northey - this carries on right through to year 11. They are taken on a mini-bus and at the end can either go back on the bus or go straight home. My son is not a sporty type but I've always been impressed by how the school has tried to find ways to keep the boys active, even those who aren't interested in team sports. Their approach has been supportive and inclusive, which is in line with the overall ethos of the school.
SET/Tiffin Boys

Post by SET/Tiffin Boys »

Please can anyone advise of the cutoff for Wilsons this year? I know that the pass mark was 494 but what was the lowest score offered a place? Do they email this information to those on the waiting list?
mumQS

Post by mumQS »

Thankyou @streathammum. It's good to know they are inclusive and supportive.

SET/Tiffin Boys: Wilsons doesn't give any score information to the waiting list candidates.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now