Tiffin vs Wimbledon high school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mad?

Re: Tiffin vs Wimbledon high school

Post by mad? »

Samurai wrote:Absolutely there are. Thats why you have them succeeding as well. Gov.uk website provides a comparator tool between schools. Lets say you take a selective and a state and you see for the first parameter in the tool wherein selective is having 1.2 vs 0.8 of the state and England average being 0.5.

Now 1.2 vs 0.8 is a difference which certainly doesnt mean 0.8 is 0.5 or even 0. Even 0.8 is due to what you refer to. But again 1.2 reflects higher contribution of the selective which its able to achieve because its filtering in entry giving it a consistent performance which reflects on its brand year after year.
Samurai - I'm afraid you have completely lost me here. Selective schools are state schools, so are you comparing state/selective with private or something else? It would be helpful if you provided a source for the data you quote- is this progress 8 you are looking at?
mad?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Samurai wrote:
Absolutely there are. Thats why you have them succeeding as well. Gov.uk website provides a comparator tool between schools. Lets say you take a selective and a state and you see for the first parameter in the tool wherein selective is having 1.2 vs 0.8 of the state and England average being 0.5.

Now 1.2 vs 0.8 is a difference which certainly doesnt mean 0.8 is 0.5 or even 0. Even 0.8 is due to what you refer to. But again 1.2 reflects higher contribution of the selective which its able to achieve because its filtering in entry giving it a consistent performance which reflects on its brand year after year.
:shock:
bridge

Post by bridge »

Sorry I was being facetious. What is it that people think grammars provide? Parents are happy to come out of the private sector for the selective state sector but not for the non-selective. From experience I've gained a small insight as to why people make the huge financial sacrifice to avoid the non-selective state sector - but I've never tired of hearing the various reasons.

Although the current answer was a bit baffling.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

bridge wrote:Sorry I was being facetious. What is it that people think grammars provide? Parents are happy to come out of the private sector for the selective state sector but not for the non-selective. From experience I've gained a small insight as to why people make the huge financial sacrifice to avoid the non-selective state sector - but I've never tired of hearing the various reasons.

Although the current answer was a bit baffling.
??referring to 'Progress 8'? But then, the academically selective schools really do have to work hard for a decent P8 score, given the KS2 scores of the intake. Unless, of course, the intake is made up mainly of DC whose parents tell them not to put any effort at all into SATs; SATs are only for the school's benefit, not theirs; they owe the school nothing - their grammar school place is all down to the hard work they and their tutor put in, nothing to do with the school's efforts over the past 7 years. Etc. (Do parents still do this? It use to be quite a 'thing' on here, every year, along with not letting one's DC go back to school at the beginning of year 6 until all their 11+ exams were over, just in case they picked up some lurgy from the hoi polloi :roll:).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Samurai

Post by Samurai »

mad? wrote:
Samurai wrote:Absolutely there are. Thats why you have them succeeding as well. Gov.uk website provides a comparator tool between schools. Lets say you take a selective and a state and you see for the first parameter in the tool wherein selective is having 1.2 vs 0.8 of the state and England average being 0.5.

Samurai - I'm afraid you have completely lost me here. Selective schools are state schools, so are you comparing state/selective with private or something else? It would be helpful if you provided a source for the data you quote- is this progress 8 you are looking at?
Sorry I was replying to the comment which challenged if non selective dont have hardworking students and teachers. I should have used state selective and state non selective. The source of data is gov.uk school comparison tool
https://www.gov.uk/school-performance-tables" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One can compare to check school A vs School B. Yes it is Progress 8 stats I was referring in my example . One needs to use the website to see all the parameters otherwise it will be a long post here :D. There is limited data if you want to compare private with state but you do get some parameter data like Attainment 8 and Ebacc etc. Depending on the state school selected in the tool one can also fibd financial parameters if available.
Cgooty

Post by Cgooty »

@KalDS1

we chose Tiffin in the end
KalDS1

Post by KalDS1 »

Cgooty wrote:@KalDS1

we chose Tiffin in the end
@cgooty,
We finally chose GHS after evaluating all options that suit best to our daughter .All the best!!