Kings College Wimbledon vs Wilson’s

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Wantitall

Kings College Wimbledon vs Wilson’s

Post by Wantitall »

Hi all, we got our first choice grammar school Wilson’s and also have an offer from King’s ? Apart from the cost which is the obvious difference , does anyone have thoughts or pros /cons of either ? Really struggling to decide !
Oneoftwothings

Re: Kings College Wimbledon vs Wilson’s

Post by Oneoftwothings »

The difficulty is you're not very likely to find anyone with boys at both (although I do know several at Wilson's who have one in independent schools as well as their Wilson's boy).

I will say though that as much as the academics and music, chess, football, and all the other clubs on offer are great and make my son really happy, my favourite part about the school is their efforts to make the boys good people. The senior leadership team are excellent - truly warm, caring people. They lead frequent assemblies aimed at making the boys really good people, e.g. on misogyny, inclusion and helping the community, which I love about the school.

Best of luck with your decision. :)
BabaPabz

Post by BabaPabz »

Oneoftwothings is right it will be difficult to find someone with kinds at both. The distance alone is telling. I have my DS at King's so can only tell you about that side of things. He is very happy there, although there are times he complains as you will expect of any 13 year old.
My impression is that it is a school for an energetic boy. We knew it is the right school for him as he is very energetic and sporty. He is an all rounder whose academic is strong but he really does thinkt sits cool to be academic and have to be pushed to try. By the way he went to Kings from a primary school. When we looked around we love Wilson, but it’s a bit far for us and he didn’t take the SET seriously and got dropped in the first round although he got thru Tiffins first round a couple of weeks late.
Kings facilities are 1st class which the will surely enjoy more as the move up the senior school. The class size is in the high twenties now that the Junior school merge with the 11+ set in year 8. That seem to bod well with my son as he now has a wider range of friends. similarly i feel there is a concerted effort to develop a well rounded nice young boys.
dh28

Post by dh28 »

Wantitall wrote:Hi all, we got our first choice grammar school Wilson’s and also have an offer from King’s ? Apart from the cost which is the obvious difference , does anyone have thoughts or pros /cons of either ? Really struggling to decide !

See this: https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 31&t=61716" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;