Sport at Nonsuch/Wallington Girls vs Graveney

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
summersun

Sport at Nonsuch/Wallington Girls vs Graveney

Post by summersun »

Hi

I am beginning to consider school options for my daughter. She will get a place at Graveney a school that we live nearby to. I feel though that I should also explore other alternatives just to make sure that Graveney is the best fit.

She is very sporty (Football, Hockey, Cricket) and I was wondering how extensive sport is at these 3 schools. Do the grammar schools have a more private school approach to sport, better facilities, more fixtures etc?

I am also wondering how important school sport is for kids that play for external sports clubs? Potentially a longer commute to school could be a downside if she is trying to fit in external training after school?

Any thoughts/experiences would be very much appreciated!

Thanks
rocky

Re: Sport at Nonsuch/Wallington Girls vs Graveney

Post by rocky »

I have a daughter at Nonsuch and I wouldn't say it's very sporty but girls do get opportunities to play against other schools. Nonsuch is known for music and Wallington is better for sport. Neither can compare to a private school for sports but that's what you pay your money for. My daughter plays sports outside school and enjoys that as she makes more friends outside her immediate friendship group. Nonsuch also provides the ball girls for the ATP tournament at Queens (Fever tree).
tfp_sa

Post by tfp_sa »

Selective state schools have [more or less] exactly the same amount of funding per head as non-selective state schools, so the sports offering you get is near enough identical at all of them not unlike the academic offering.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

tfp_sa wrote:Selective state schools have [more or less] exactly the same amount of funding per head as non-selective state schools, so the sports offering you get is near enough identical at all of them not unlike the academic offering.
Definitely. I have not found facilities any better at Grammar Schools (academic/non-academic)
summersun

Post by summersun »

Thanks a lot for your replies - very helpful
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now