Tiffin is great!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
melinda

Post by melinda »

Isn't 2000 a little bit exaggerated??

Anyone have accurate figures? Or maybe they won't know yet.
JASMINE

Post by JASMINE »

Hi Melinda,

I hope it is exaggerated - gosh I know the financial crisis will affect parents and lot more people will be opting for grammars than independents.

I wonder how many people applied last year?
mad?

Post by mad? »

Hi Jasmine
I think you can get precise numbers from the Kingston LA site but it was definitely much much nearer 1000 than 2000 last year. No-one knows how many are applying this year until the CAFs are in, and even then only those with privileged information. Every year there is spurious rumour mongering about how many have applied and I suggest you ignore it as it can only serve to create panic and is usually ill informed.
good luck
mad?
melinda

Post by melinda »

Thanks Mad, I agree. Everyone seems to wants to speculate these days about everything (and don't get me going on the credit crunch!!!) :!:
kingston

Post by kingston »

[quote="mad?"]
"I suggest you ignore it as it can only serve to create panic and is usually ill informed."

Hi, you all: Melinda, Jasmine, Mad? ect: I totally agree with what "mad? " said: " Ignore" that source. Its one sided, negetive and illegible posts is unpleasant source for us all.

The closing dates this year for Tiffin form and CAF forms is 24 OCT, 08. So, nobody knows how many applicants so far this year. And as far as I know, last year the total applicants is 1127 for Tiffin boys.
JASMINE

Post by JASMINE »

Hi all,

Phew!

Thanks will ignore - it shows I am novice.

I am as gullible as a goldfish anyway!

Melinda will not mention the dreaded C C words again.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

As for... Tamilbuck2 Joined: 01 Apr; The date is no doubt significant.

As for the level of applications...

The head teacher said that the odds were far better than the statistics would have you believe... in that a large number of applicants should not be applying anyway since in practical terms they live too far away so would drop out anyway, many apply to multiple schools of which tiffin boys is geographically not their first choice and there are a proportion who are off to independent anyway and are doing the exam as a fallback option.

If you live near, want Tiffin Boys as your first choice your chances were viewed as being more like 1:3 rather than 1:10...

Something like that anyway. Still not easy and performance on the day, luck etc remain a significant factor.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
richmond

Post by richmond »

SVE - have to agree with your sensible comments - last year my friends boy got a place at Tiffins and a scholohip (50%) at a Hampton boys independent. Although he liked both schols he turned down the Tiffins place in the end as he lived closer to Hampton

Richmond
Thea

Post by Thea »

Some might even be doing it for practice - a friend is putting her DS in for it, even tho' they have decided on independent, because the exam is in December and so the exam practice will be useful...
Best Regards,
Thea
JASMINE

Post by JASMINE »

Great info SunlampVexesEel, sounds more realistic.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now