motivation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hmaq

motivation

Post by hmaq »

Please may I request for practical advice on motivation. Will be very grateful.
cindy

Post by cindy »

I offered my son a laptop, and my daughter some cash.

Neither had any formal tutoring, just gental reminders of thier likley rewards.

Both of mine think I am thick. I kept telling them that I didnt understand the questions and asked if they could help show me how to work it out.
They seemed to enjoy helping me learn and it reinforced it to them at the same time.

They are both now at grammer

good luck

Cindyx
hmaq

Post by hmaq »

Thanks. I spoke to him bout his PS2 and it seems to be working.
I was using the Bond motivational planner but wasn not so sure about it.
sports taxi

Post by sports taxi »

I paid my son five pounds for every completed session. Much cheaper than a tutor and also he could see the money mounting up towards what he wanted to buy. As the exam time got nearer I found that he was more motivated anyway, since he realized how much easier we were being on him compared with his friends that were going to tutors and getting homework from them.
tense

Post by tense »

Every time my DD scored over 95% in a test paper I gave her £1 - now that worked out cheap!! I know other posters gave football cards / jaffa cakes etc...you need to find what would motivate your son!

I think a small amount of cash or a cheap gift like cards is OK, but I'd beware of offering a significant amount (Cindy's laptop / cash were presumably for passing, not just motivating on a daily basis?!). Generally speaking, I don't think you should pay children for studying, but as 11+ prep is over & above school work I think a little is OK!!
hmaq

Post by hmaq »

Thanks tense, That sounds like a great idea. He can build up the money towards his psp
LuluQueen

Post by LuluQueen »

To be honest, I wouldn't approve of bribing my child. All I tell them is to do their very best and whatever the result I would ALWAYS be proud of them. I will give my daughter a big hug after she comes out of that exam, and I would get her anything she wanted. I'm sure all of you feel like that.

LQ
Giulio

Post by Giulio »

I tried Lego (what he wanted), and it seemed to work. Not so sure now. I agree with Lulu, bribing is not right and I felt like rewarding him after the Wallington test (a skateboard), because of the effort and before the result.

DS is motivated by seeing himself scoring high and by seeing his parents appreciate his efforts.

I do have a problem to get him to write essays, I am trying "11+ English. A Parent's Toolkit", but not much succes.

How do you motivate him to do what he likes less?
Drastic Dad

Post by Drastic Dad »

I have offered a reward of Nintendo Wii (plus a new television as our old one is only tiny (14") and seldom works) and, wait for it, a DOG. My son loves dogs. He wrote a 'book' about a boy who was bored and found himself in a magical kingdom with his dog, Rollo, when he entered a box. I am OK with the Wii but that dog would be a big pain. Still it would keep the mother-in-law away, so I might get him one whether he passes the test or not. I give him a peace of Toblerone dark chocolate after ever practice session. As he is not allowed unrestricted access to sweeties, he loves it.
JASMINE

Post by JASMINE »

My son wants a reward of something expensive like a laptop or nintendo wii. Mine has also mentioned a pet like yours Drastic dad and wanted a dog ( alastian) I managed to talk him out of it for now.

I know what you mean about the motivation Hmag and Giulio, I've tried everything but nothing seems to work.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now