Whitgift & Trinity 10+ Exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mummyto3

Whitgift & Trinity 10+ Exam

Post by Mummyto3 »

Hi all

Am really nervous. My son will sit his 10+ exams in January. We have a tutor and do stuff at home with him. My son is bright but makes silly mistakes sometimes. I am using Bond papers at home, do you guys think this is ok?

Any tips from parents whose boys have sat these exams would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
melinda

Post by melinda »

Hi, my son sat the entrance exam to Whitgift last January - 11+? (he was in Year 6).
To be quite honest I do not know much detail about the contents of the exam, but just to say my son found it easier than the tests for grammars, especially the maths bit. The english story was one where he had to include three particular themes ie a box, a surprise and a red ball (or something like that) - different to actually giving them a question or a subject to write about.
My son was tutored and used Bond papers - AND he is fairly bright and also made silly mistakes!! (boys).
Sounds like you're doing all the right things - they also interview both boy and parents (separate and together), but that was quite friendly and informal. You have to insist that Whitgift (or Trinity) is your first choice of course!
We liked Whitgift (didn't see Trinity) and were impressed by the facilities (esp the sports), my son was impressed by the lunch he got on test day!!! :)

If I learn anything else I will let you know.
Good luck
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Melinda

Thank you for this; am worried about the story writing as that is his least favourite subject but he is doing really well on his Maths, VR & AVR.

Am wishing my life away as I want the test over and done with!!! :?
melinda

Post by melinda »

I know exactly how you feel - I felt Christmas "got in the way" last year!! I just wanted March and results day - it all comes around very quickly in the end.
My son now happily settled at the secondary school of his choice, so all the effort and stress is worth it, even if you sometimes feel like giving up!! :lol:
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Hi

You also need to know that the Whitgift essay is quite long at 50 minutes compared to other exams. There is a good choice of essay titles and make sure you look at past papers as one of the essay titles last year had appeared a few years earlier. In addition the rest of the English is relatively long with quite an emphasis on comprehension (sometimes two). Maths and verbal reasoning is straightforward. Absolutely essential for Whitgift you tell them it is your first choice and you are just sitting Trinity for practice.
At the interview stage you may like to ask them very carefully what their intended intake is at 10+ and then how many they intend to take at 11+ the following year.

The trinity exam is easier than the Whitgift exam (or was several years ago when we sat it) with very straightforward maths, VR and English and I think the standard required for entry is lower. Trinity are much more laid back about you having choices for schools.

Good luck
Mummyto3

Post by Mummyto3 »

Hi

Thanks for your advice. I have two past papers for T&W, but they are both the same!! I have been encouraging my son to write stories and ask that he includes three specific items which are relevant to the flow of his story, as this follows the W past paper.

Am a nervous wreck!! Some days he does brilliantly at a test (85%-95%), others he gets 70% to 80+%. I'm just praying he has a good day on the actual test date. He initially preferred Whitgift but is now more enthusiastic about Trinity. I have tried to not put too much pressure on him and have told him he can use these tests as practise for Wallington/Wilsons/Sutton - even though I pray he passes first time round so that is one child sorted and I can begin concentrating on my other son!!

This site is a Godsend - so glad to see other parents going through the same situation, pity that there are insufficient good state shools for our children to go to so we have to put them through this.