Tiffin Boys waiting list 2009

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
minniem

Post by minniem »

Well done Piers3,I couldnt agree more.
Looking back at all the appeal numbers maybe this is made up vastly of parents complaining of this practise.
Dont even get me started on the no bounds catchment area!!
I hear one child already at the school commutes daily from the Isle of Dogs and have even heard word that another child goes 'home ' at the weekend to Dorset!!
As it is a friend taking a child for the girls exam met someone in the queue coming in from Preston for the day to take the test and then would move if they got in as they could use their mothers address for the admission process.
Wether these are all true or not it does make my blood boil as I am a Kingston resident.
Nayna P

Post by Nayna P »

Hi geling,
My DS scored 221. He tried hard but my husband and I feel that we let him down really badly. It is very depressing but hopefully we will be trying for the 12+ route.
geling

Post by geling »

Hi, Nayna P:
1: Sorry to hear you feel a bit down nowadays! Don't blame yourself anymore. It is not your fault at all. Hopefully my following "analysis" may cheer you up a little bit.... Last year, my son scored 225 which was 4 point below the passing mark 229 and we received the offer on April26, 08. So, this year your DS scored 221 which is 5 point below the passing mark 226..... Well, maybe you would get the offer before the summer holiday? This is our "dreamy" assumption, however, let's pray together-our dream comes true! Good luck!

2: Hope the school your DS has been offer is OK and you have to accept it first and then waiting for the news from Tiffin.

3: if the parents whose DS scored 225, 224 ...could post here, then , this thread could be as "informative" as last year's.

Good luck to your all!
orion

Post by orion »

The obvious observation is that this year there are more children on each score on or around the cut off mark of 226.

Nayna suggests that 13 boys need to decline before the waiting list starts to move, therefore more than 13 boys are on 226. My friend’s son knows of a boy in his school who is 31st on the waiting list with a score of 224.

Nayna’s son is 38th on the list with 221.

Based on the figures, available, it seems that each position is heavily populated. The waiting list will invariably move much more slowly with a greater number of children needing to decline, even for it to move down one mark. Good luck to those waiting and don’t become too despondent at the lack of apparent movement.
runningmum

Post by runningmum »

This thread seems to be duplicated in 'Spoilt for choice'.

The Tiffin school admissions policy was amended on 18/7/08 to allow for transfers in. I don't understand why parents don't just put down what school they wish their DS or DD to attend in preference order. There are no tactics needed, just a decision to be made in October.

I can see that if for some emergency reason (eg. forced relocation) there is a real need to change school, then there should be an emergency system to allow for this (with evidence etc).
Thea

Post by Thea »

It is unfortunate that some people seem to hang onto the place and finally decline only in the summer ( we know some people who did this two years ago, trying to decide against a scholarship elsewhere) unfortunately there is no lever to make people decide quickly.
Best Regards,
Thea
bluesky01

Post by bluesky01 »

Give you a bit of good news to cheer you up.

My DS school did extremely well this year, particular for boys, they have around 8 boys receiving offers from Tiffin and among these boys, there were at least five boys got scholarship from independent schools. They will soon make some vacancies at Tiffin. Keep your hope live. Good lucky to you.
geling

Post by geling »

Bluesky01 : thanks for posting such a good news which is" much needed "in this thread. Would you mind if I ask : Is your DS's primary school a private? Anyway it must be a very good school! ) :lol:

Up to now , we still may need another 8 boys to decline Tiffin's offer in order to get the waiting list moving.
delthebelle

Post by delthebelle »

Hi everyone, i'm totally new to this thread and have been following yr info since it began.
My DS scored 225 and is on the waiting list with rank 1 and although i'm optimistic, certainly does'nt help knowing he could go down that list making way for those who have now changed their minds, its so unfair.
From what i have made of the letter it states that those boys who did receive their higher preference school which is other than Tiffin have been removed from the list but "only these boys" can now change their mind and opt for being placed on the list, surely, these children should go at the bottom of the list and not the top. Why should we have to compromise our postion for the ones who have now changed their minds. Once a child goes onto a WL he has to move up nto Down???
Can someone please clarify this for us, i'm too nervous to call as i'm dreading what i think may be the case...
Will surely keep on top of things and post info as we play the waiting game!!
geling

Post by geling »

Hi, delthebelle: so happy to have you here!!!
It is obviously that you are very nervous about the current policy on the waiting list. However, if I were you, I wouldn't! :lol: From my experience you will get the offer eventually since you are the Number one on the waiting list. (May I say before the Easter holiday?) And if we re-read the thread "Tiffin Boy Waiting list 08", there was no any "Significant" sign that many parents changed their mind and jumped into the waiting queue! Maybe only a few possibly? So, at least, you don't need to worry too much about it.

Once you get the offer, would you mind letting us sharing your happiness at the first possible time? Thanks in advance.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now