St Olaves VS Wilsons School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mumofboys

Post by Mumofboys »

Does anyone know these GS very well to give an unbiased view of them! Did anyone's DS took exams for both school? Our DS took both and passed very well but we had to choose for him because he likes both GS! Wonder if we have made the right choice!
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I'm afraid I don't know the Kent schools at all. Given how far apart the two schools are I would have thought ease of journey and travelling time would be a very important factor in any decision.

I assume they are both excellent schools in which case you can't go wrong!
Mumofboys

St Olaves Vs Wilsons

Post by Mumofboys »

Thanks surreymum for your quick and prompt reply! I wasn't sure anyone will reply as it's a bit late in the day for deciding schools! I have used the website before but never discovered this forum! It was leading to the national offer day that I discovered the forum and it made for interesting reading! It's never too late to share ideas and tips with seemingly genuine people!

You are spot on the travelling time! We are in an area where we can assess both GS but St Olaves is in our borough but quite awkward to get to! On the other hand Wilson is reasonably easy to get to but in another borough. We chose Wilsons, but our local Mums & Dad think we must be mad to choose any school over The St Olaves!
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Always difficult! The other consideration with the distance is that his friends would be more local with a Bromley school, whereas could have lots in Sutton and to the West of Wilsons if comes there. However he will have to make the journey to school every day and if that makes more sense from where you live then it probably is best.

Have you tested the journey across Croydon at the time he would be travelling?

Wilsons is a fine school.

I would stick with what was your instinct when you weighed it all up calmly. It is all too easy to be swayed by other people after the event and their journeys may be much easier so that it is a no-brainer for them.
Mumofboys

Wilsons Vs St Olaves

Post by Mumofboys »

Thanks again Surreymum. Most of DS friends are in local bromley schools but we have convinced him that he will soon make new friends at Wilsons. We just feel that WS suits his personality more and hope he will be happy there!
As I said, It wasn't an easy decision to make because DS told us to choose for him! St Olaves got State Secondary school of the year in Times Online Parent Power - no pressure! but as DH always says, you have to look beyond academics sometimes especially for boys! and find other things that makes a school unique and right for DS.

We are planning journey across Croydon soon!
Mumofboys

Post by Mumofboys »

Surreymum, please see link for your info although I have a funny feeling that you have!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/parentpowe ... ry_schools
St Olaves VS Wilsons: Does anyone know these GS very well to give an unbiased view of them! Did anyone's DS took exams for these? Our DS took both and passed very well but we had to choose for him!
Uncle Jo

Post by Uncle Jo »

I have pm you.
Baba Lolo
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

I doubt there's much in it academically. I don't believe small differences between any of these schools are down to the teaching, but rather how they play the system and the particular cohort of children they have that year.

I definitely would not let a few places in a league table alter my decision :D
Mumofboys

St Olaves Vs Wilsons

Post by Mumofboys »

:)
OxfordBoy

Post by OxfordBoy »

I left Wilson's recently. It's incredibly strong for sport especially football but also badminton, waterpolo and athletics. Academically there is a massive slant towards maths; most students study it to A-level. However students are not pressured in this direction. Any other q's just pm. Cheers.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now