Spoilt for choice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hmaq

Spoilt for choice

Post by hmaq »

Got home today to find letters from Sutton Grammar and Wilson's. He passed these schools but has been offered a place in Wallington. Just wondering if there are any thoughts from anyone.

We all have our preferences for many reasons. 2 of his friend are going to Wallington, a lot more ethnic mix, the first school we visited and wanted and maybe slightly easier with school runs.

On the other hand, according to Ofsted and general perception, Wilsons and Sutton Grammar are 'outstanding'.

Will be good to hear from experienced parents especially if you have an inside view to 2 of the schools.
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

hmaq,

I am a Tiffin parent. But from what I have seen going through the Sutton's and Wilson's Ofsted reports in the past years and visiting the schools twice in 4 years during their open evenings, given a choice I would easily choose Wilson's and Sutton above Wallington.

That's not an insider opinion but a general one.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Congratulations to your son. I am deeply biased of course as my sons are all at Sutton which we are delighted with. They are all very different characters, but have all found their place and are thriving.

All of the schools would welcome you back for another look round.

We know children happy at all of the schools.

I would certainly look at your sons travelling distance and ease of journey as that can make a huge difference to you all. If there is not much in it I would go on gut instinct.

Remember they are all good schools, there isn't a right and a wrong answer. If there was only one of them in the area and your son had got a place you would not be hesitating.....

You will find as many different opinions as people you ask!
surreymother2

Post by surreymother2 »

Congrats to your son hmaq!
My son is at Wilson's in Year 7 and loves it.
He chose Wilson's because of the great sports facilities/grounds (7 astroturf pitches i think!) as he is very sporty and loves football. Wallington I think just does rugby, tho i think they maybe going to start playing football.
He liked Sutton, but the lack of grounds on site was a factor.
Also he liked the style of Wilson's more than Sutton or Wallington- its more modern buildings appealed to him I think.
As parents we were impressed with the headmaster at Wilson's, who seemed to articulate everything we wanted to hear!
As previous poster said, it's a nice quandary to have as they are all good schools! :)
surreymother2

Post by surreymother2 »

Also, hmaq, re the ethnic mix - I think you'll find it is just as rich at Wilson's.
solimum

Post by solimum »

What order did you put them on the original preference form? I thought the new system was supposed to prevent people having multiple offers at this stage, although you can presumably go on the waiting list for other schools
hmaq

Post by hmaq »

Thanks for the recommendations.

Wallington was our first preference as it was the one we knew the result at the aplication stage, a bird in hand ...

We only have one offer and only looking again since we got letters from the other schools that he passed their exams.

Once again, thanks so much everyone and especially those behind the running of this site.
We wish all the boys more success in future years.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

solimum wrote:What order did you put them on the original preference form? I thought the new system was supposed to prevent people having multiple offers at this stage, although you can presumably go on the waiting list for other schools
Hi - I wondered about this too, sounds like the schools are trying to circumvent the CAF system, there was a mention of another school doing it somewhere (?newstaed) . You should only be told of the first school on your list that can actually offer you a place. In all probability the schools lower on the list may have offered a place if they had been top of the list but actually they now don't have the places to offer anyway and I presume you would have to appeal to get a place at either.
WP

Post by WP »

hermanmunster wrote:Hi - I wondered about this too, sounds like the schools are trying to circumvent the CAF system, there was a mention of another school doing it somewhere (?newstaed) . You should only be told of the first school on your list that can actually offer you a place. In all probability the schools lower on the list may have offered a place if they had been top of the list but actually they now don't have the places to offer anyway and I presume you would have to appeal to get a place at either.
Most schools will offer some places from their waiting list. If people who would have got a place but have a higher ranked offer are added to the waiting list, they will get those places, because their scores are higher than those who missed out the first time round.
piers3

Spoilt for choice

Post by piers3 »

hmaq, firstly congratulations to you Ds on his success. What has happened in your case is what I call 'The Wallington Trap'you placed Wallington first because your Ds had passed the test but your should always place the school you really want first. In your case you did want Wallington but now you are not sure.

You applied to three grammars having Wallington 'in the bag' you should have placed Wilsons and Sutton Grammar above Wallington( much better schools imo). Failure to get these two schools would not have affected your Ds place at Wallington.

Your 'spoilt for choice' has a detrimental effect on boys that placed Wilsons first but did not achieve a place in the first round. Your Ds will leapfrog them on the waiting list and get a place. My Ds friend did not get a place in the first round and may not get a place because some parents are getting a chance to change their mind.

This situation does not happen at Tiffin if you receive a higher preference offer you are taken off their list.

I do know several other Grammars send out letters trying to lure pupils with high scores. This practice should be stopped as it makes a complete mockery of the preference system.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now